Engineered Framing System or Old Fashion On-Site Framer?

/ Engineered Framing System or Old Fashion On-Site Framer? #1  

Nissan197

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4WD
Anyone have any experience with engineered framing? I am looking into it as an option. They claim a house can be roughed in in approximately 7 days compared to 13 days for the on-site framing. That is for a 2000 square foot house. I am looking at a company called Advantage Framing. They will build engineered floor systems, pre-built wall panel systems, engineered roof truss systems. Anyone know if this option is more expensive than the other way? Of course the web-site says engineered framing is stronger and quicker to assemble, more precise cuts, etc...Thanks for any replies.

/ Engineered Framing System or Old Fashion On-Site Framer? #2  
No, I dont know anything about engineered framing, but had to mention one builder I have done tractor work for used a framing crew that built condos during the week and would rough in a 1600 sq foot two story in a weekend.

/ Engineered Framing System or Old Fashion On-Site Framer? #3  
Nissan197

If you are looking at that mode of building look also at SIPs. Eagle Panel is one such Eagle Panel Systems: Conventional . There are quite a few SIP manufacturers around the country.

SIPs would give you a tighter, better insulated house and shorter erection time at perhaps slightly higher cost.

Vernon

/ Engineered Framing System or Old Fashion On-Site Framer? #4  
texbaylea said:
Nissan197

and shorter erection time at perhaps slightly higher cost.

Vernon

I'm not so sure that's a good thing... ;)

sorry, couldn't resist.

/ Engineered Framing System or Old Fashion On-Site Framer? #5  
Good one!

I used the engineered I joists for my floor - everything else was logs and timber. I think I paid a small premium over 2x whatever joists and worth every penney for the flatness and rigidity it added, not to mention ease of pulling wiring thru the knockouts and no need for a center I beam in the way.

/ Engineered Framing System or Old Fashion On-Site Framer? #7  
Nissan197 said:
Anyone have any experience with engineered framing? I am looking into it as an option. They claim a house can be roughed in in approximately 7 days compared to 13 days for the on-site framing. That is for a 2000 square foot house. I am looking at a company called Advantage Framing. They will build engineered floor systems, pre-built wall panel systems, engineered roof truss systems. Anyone know if this option is more expensive than the other way? Of course the web-site says engineered framing is stronger and quicker to assemble, more precise cuts, etc...Thanks for any replies.

I assume you meant engineered framing not engineered lumber...

It depends on the design of your house. If you just use engineered components to replace standard 2x's.... No, they are not quicker than on-site framing. Usually slower if you count the time it take to plan, engineer and schedule the components built at the factory. Also, most building dept require engineering stamp on your plan along with all the calculations. It costs a lot more $$$. If you pay an architect for the plan, the engineering fee is on top of his fee. If there's any error, it's not easily fixable on site.

However, if you use engineered framing like roof/floor truss to replace large timber or for a longer span, then it's cost effective. In this case, it's quicker and cheaper.

/ Engineered Framing System or Old Fashion On-Site Framer? #8  
I work for Alpine engineered products (now ITW building componets group) the softwere we build (in house) is migrating to a whole house engineered softwere.

many of our largest customers (million $ acounts) also build wall pannels.

so yes a wall pannel, sysem 42 floor truss, and roof trusses is tradtionally cheeper over all.

the wall pannels are built on an assmebly line useing automated equipment so labor costs are cheeper. The isntallation time is EXTREAMLY rapid and therefore saves money in the long run.

The floor trusses and roof trusses will have seals (if your local building dept requires it) the wall pannels will not unless an extra step has been made to forward them to a second structural engineer.

Engineered (or prebuilt) system eliminates a lot of the problems of some country bumkin (or mexican) framer hacking up the framing job and doing a pi$$ poor job. as all they have to do now is asseble the pre made pieces per the assembly layout. (they are all litterly taged with numbers/letters).

(i sat on habitat for humanity construction commitee for 5 years) With a good crew of volinteers i could go from slab to a decked roof of a 1100 sqft single story house in one 10 hr day.