Enough HP???

/ Enough HP??? #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
I have a new Holland TN70A tractor with 70HP.

I want to use a 84" double auger snow blower that the manufacturer recommends a 80-125 HP tractor. I am shy by 10 HP!!!!

What kind of problems will I have with only 70 HP and this snow blower?
Bob

/ Enough HP??? #2  
My guess is it would be very slow going. Taking 1/2 - 3/4 cuts after going at angles on the first one. But really I have no knowlege on that blower, only big highway ones over the serrias. They take all the hp they can get and ask for more.

/ Enough HP??? #3  
Assuming the snow thrower is PTO powered, you're actually quite a bit shy. New Holland specs the TN70 at 57 PTO horsepower.

//greg//

/ Enough HP???
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I figured not enough HP! Darn. This is why I love TBNers!
Just need to keep looking.
Bob

/ Enough HP??? #5  
but whats that snowbower rated at? full 3' tall 7' wide cut?

in other words if your moving 8" of snow i dont think the power requirements are quite the same....

when it comes to 3' drifts take half a cut....

if its a decent deal... buy it... use it for a winter or 2... if it doesnt work out you can always sell it...

/ Enough HP???
schmism said:
if its a decent deal... buy it... use it for a winter or 2... if it doesnt work out you can always sell it...

Good point. My TN 70A weighs 5700 pounds. The blower weighs 1200 pounds on the 3ph. I think I should be able to handle the weight.
What do you think?
Bob

/ Enough HP???
greg_g said:
Assuming the snow thrower is PTO powered, you're actually quite a bit shy. New Holland specs the TN70 at 57 PTO horsepower.

//greg//

yep, PTO is less, but the snow blower rating is based (I think) on engine HP, not PTO HP. But I am still 10 HP shy of 80.
Bob

/ Enough HP??? #8  
Actually.. isn't the engine hp closer to 66? In any case.. an open question to -all- here.. why 66 eng hp, and only 57 pto.. That's a 9hp drop... I'm used to seeing half that on some other tractors... etc That's some pretty massive loss between the flywheel and the pto shaft... that's a whopping 13.63% of eng hp drop.. My other ford / NH diesels have 5.25% and 5.5% drop based on eng and pto hp listings. They are also gear units.. Anyone else have observations on this?

Soundguy

/ Enough HP???
Soundguy said:
Actually.. isn't the engine hp closer to 66?
Soundguy

A TN70A has 70 engine HP per the NH repair manual.
Bob

/ Enough HP??? #10  
Bob; Where are you going to get enough snow to fill this monster? For the last five years we are getting less and less snow and maybe two snow falls with more than a foot. If 70 hp isn't enough to run the blower I would be very surprised. Remember, the farther you blow the snow the longer it takes to pile it back in the drive so you can do it again. Seat time is very important !