Enrolling in CRP

/ Enrolling in CRP #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi all we are going to enroll about 1.5 acrs into CRP the part of the property is partally swampy and the other part is field like (stumps, multiflora rose, brambles etc). The price of gas and toll on my little tractor to cut the field just doesnt make sense. So i will let the feds pay me to plant and rent it for 15 years.

I was wondering if you could tell me who you used for

Tubex tubes must be 4'
Hardwood stakes a requirement for the tubes cannot use bamboo.

Also my list of trees looks like this (min of 7 varieties)
20 swamp oak
30 black walnut
25 shagbark hickory
25 butternut
20 sugar maple
20 pin oak
6 apple trees (the max allowed)
Any quality bareroot nurserys that you have used would be appreciated.
I have been doing google searches for different companies but if you used someone and like the product or did not like their product please let me know.

Thank you
Forgeblast

/ Enrolling in CRP #2  
Does the state of PA sell trees for reforestation?

NC sells seedlings pretty cheap through the Division of Forest Resources. With the exception of apple trees they sell what you have listed or something close. I bought 500 pine seedlings a few years ago for less than $100 including shipping. The shipping was the expensive part.

Just checked their prices. $20 per 10 seedlings for hardwood. $50 for 100 seedlings. They used to sell packages of a mix of trees but I don't see those in the current catalog.

Later,
Dan

/ Enrolling in CRP
Our counties do have seedling sales, once per year, and i always seem to be out of town for it. They are also small. Looking at the various companies i want to buy a bareroot tree as big as i possibly can to help with survivalbiltiy. I must have 70% survive (in the contract). I may still use them but I would rather have a company that will guarentee them a bit, there is no guarentee through the county conservation districts.
thanks
Forgeblast

just checked for 5 of a type of tree its 11.00. I could get 25 from mussler for 23.00 so its a bit more expensive through them. pines are cheap 25 for 20.00 but the hardwoods are more expensive.

/ Enrolling in CRP #4  
I don't know the rules, but I thought you would still have to do some mowing for CRP property. Also, the rent rate is fixed for the whole time, so what people are making in effect, goes down every year. But still, it may be nice to get something instead of nothing.

I think here they pay for a percent (around 50%?) of the work of planting trees, and some erosion control is part of some plans. But I forget which plan I looked at.

/ Enrolling in CRP
I have to do weed control around the trees, but i cannot mow it until after august when the birds are done nesting. i can mow in a small axcess road to the back of my property and to my neighbors. The price is fixed but i am going to recive money to plant hardwood treees that will one day (my children) will be able to harvest for premium money. I will not be spending money on gas, belts, blades, oil etc for my mower, and will at the same time be recieving money from the state every year for 15 years. To us its a win win. I am planting trees that i could harvest items from, nuts/berries/fruit, before they are timber harvested. I felt that i was throwing money away mowing grass i dont "use".

here they pay for 100% of trees and tubex, i can do the work or contract it out. I do have to plant some shrubs, (blueberrys, cranberries, and hazlenuts) but i have found them for cheap on the net. I will use dan finch in nc for my blueberries they are amazing.

/ Enrolling in CRP #7  
What is CRP?

It is the Conservation Resource Program. A federal program designed to do what it is called, conserve our natural resources.

/ Enrolling in CRP #8  
Wisconsin DNR sells 1-0 or 2-0 trees for about 30 cents a tree (lots of 1,000).

Worth seeing if your State does the same thing.
Bob

/ Enrolling in CRP #9  
I enrolled in federal re-forestation project 6 years ago, they got me a grant from Med Wesco, (as in MEAD PAPER) and I ended up getting some 6000 saplings for free. about 1/2 or better were pines 2000 were hard sugar maples (which I'll use as a sugar bush in 10 more years or so) I also got plumb green ash (which i'm now in emerald bug area so those are goners) and wallnuts. I had a 75% first year survival easy but did water them & had a dang good rain 1st year as well. long term I think up till now I have at least 60~65% guess-estimation of survival with out mowing more than a few areas... I planted ~12 acres worth...

My tax guy (im in CAUV) is out every year to check on me and make sure I'm doing what my forester wanted me to do... I had a 5 year plan and was done with it in about 3 yrs. that means I'm in CAUV for next 10 yrs with out tax man able to say anything about it. then I need to re-apply for forester to come back out & make recommendations... :) I did make a little $ this year selling some of my own paid for plantings which is still no profit considering amount of 4 I had to put in...

I brush hogged every thing down, then roto tilled rows and planted every 10 feet or so... I'll have to thin some time soon a few areas.
Mark M