Equipment shed erection question

/ Equipment shed erection question #1  

Rod in Forfar

Platinum Member
Tractor
1960 Massey Ferguson 35 (Perkins), 1995 TAFE 35DI, 1980 Bolens G174, 2005 Kubota B7510, 2020 Kioti Mechron 2200ps UTV Troy-Bilt Horse 2 1988 Case IH 255 4WD with loader and cab
Guys:

We're set to start assembling a 20X30 garage/equipment shed tomorrow on a pad we poured last fall. The catch is that the panels will be studded with 12' 2X6s. I want to apply the 7/16" OSB while the panels are on the floor.

The other garage last summer had a 9' ceiling, so I left off the top foot of sheeting and lifted the panels into place with the loader on my Massey 35. The 35 will be outgunned with 12' panels, though, as it won't reach very high.

The TAFE 35 has an Allied 395 loader with a 5' snow/gravel bucket attached. I figure I'll pry a 16' panel up with the loader or a crowbar until I can get the bucket under it enough for a good lift. At about 75 degrees, I'll put braces on the panel and get a new grip, most likely on a 2X4 lagged to the wall, but possibly using the chain hooks I welded to the top corners of the bucket. A pair of appropriate chains can be borrowed from my timber winch.

With the improved grip I hope to lift each panel into place over the anchor bolts (already fitted to the bottom plates).

Another variable is the timber winch on the old MF35. Trouble is that the slab's 12' from the new garage, and a plastic building's the same distance on the other side, so there isn't much room for a winch to operate.

The 12' 3" wall height is for an automotive hoist, BTW.

Suggestions, pictures, warnings, all would be welcome before 8:00 a.m. Saturday.

Thanks,

Rod in Forfar (Ontario)
Walnut Diary

/ Equipment shed erection question #2  
Are you going to try to build the entire wall on the slab and then lift it? For example, are you going to do the entire 30 ft and then lift it as one piece? If so, do you have a lot of help or some wall jacks? I would be very concerned about a wall that long racking as it went up.

/ Equipment shed erection question #3  
Wish you luck.

Speaking of pics, how about some from your end so we can see what you are really dealing with....including the equipment available. Sounds a bit ornerous and its only fair that we get a chance to make suggestions that will help you out. ;)

/ Equipment shed erection question

Attachments

• IMG_2258.jpg
    IMG_2258.jpg
    725.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2262.jpg
    IMG_2262.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2246.jpg
    IMG_2246.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 226
   / Equipment shed erection question #5  
I realize you already have anchor bolts in place so the wall has to be lifted. However, for anyone getting ready to do the same, there is a different type of anchor that allows the wall to be raised into place without having to lift it over the anchor bolts. Simpson makes a mudsill anchor that nails to the wall. Check it out here:
Product Category: Mudsill Anchors - Concrete or Masonry

/ Equipment shed erection question #7  
Glad it is done. And good job.
You were fortunate that the chain hooks didn't split the wood of the 2x6 studs at the holes.
But fortunate is better than the alternative. :)

Thanks for the pics.

/ Equipment shed erection question #9  
Three panels have gone up so far. Turned out not to be hard to lift them with the loader. I just drilled holes in the 2X6 studs 9' from the floor, and hooked the chains up from that point. The lifting was surprisingly easy.

https://picasaweb.google.com/rodcros/BuildingGarageII?authkey=Gv1sRgCOT_js-lkraDwwE#

Neat. I did something similar for a small 10x12 ft shed a few years ago using my 2005 Kubota B7510 HST. Built the frames on my shop floor, chained sections to the FEL bucket and moved them to the jobsite.

DSCF0046 (Small).JPG DSCF0020 (Small).JPG

/ Equipment shed erection question
Please monitor the erection time carefully, since if it exceeds 4 hours, you are supposed to see a doctor. :D

I think an exception can be made in this case, given the episodic nature of the activity and the length of the studs involved.

<grin> Don't try to B.S. an English major.