Essential Workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Essential Workers? #11  
I believe city and county services will be the last to open...

Everything else not government is open and many never closed like grocery, hospitals, hardware, banks, etc.

A sizable group still pays taxes at the counter with a stamped receipt...

Cash is still not accepted for these government debt and credit cards have a 2% convenience fee.

Annually the Air District would arrive to inspect the hospital generator... It's two two years now and no field inspection but fees are due for annual inspection.

Same for code compliance and low income housing inspection...

Again, my experience is limited to SF Bay Area... which is just a dot on the map...
I was in court at a county on the Texas Gulf Coast this week and their county government never closed any office during Covid. According to the District Court Administrator you couldn’t tell anything was ever shut down.

In Travis County (Austin) the county government was more like you describe in the Bay Area. They shut down at the first opportunity and have resisted RE-opening as much as possible.

To me, the Travis County bureaucrats have proved to people that they are really not needed as much as they think they are.

/ Essential Workers? #12  
Enlighten us please.
I am a forester working for the US Forest Service. Every day my co-workers and I put in long days, often in the field doing physical activities or long office hours. We don’t get paid overtime; we just do what is needed to finish the job. Most federal employees are the same. Many of the people posting here seem to have no idea what the typical civil service employee does, and seem to think that we drink coffee all day.

/ Essential Workers? #13  
I am a forester working for the US Forest Service. Every day my co-workers and I put in long days, often in the field doing physical activities or long office hours. We don’t get paid overtime; we just do what is needed to finish the job. Most federal employees are the same. Many of the people posting here seem to have no idea what the typical civil service employee does, and seem to think that we drink coffee all day.
for some government workers who aren't required to do their jobs in any sort of timely fashion

Then obviously who mikster was talking about isn't you, is it? There are a lot more 'government workers' who do actually sit around in an office sipping coffee all day than there are Forestry workers out in the field...

/ Essential Workers? #14  
Then obviously who mikster was talking about isn't you, is it? There are a lot more 'government workers' who do actually sit around in an office sipping coffee all day than there are Forestry workers out in the field...
Most federal employees who I work with who are in the office are busy all day, not just sitting around drinking coffee. Retirements and budget cuts have resulted in short staffing government wide. Now about those people at state MVD departments….

/ Essential Workers? #15  
I worked full time all through the shutdown... my state just borrowed 14.9 million dollars to give me and others who did the same a "bonus". Today I received a $285 check... am still scratching my head trying to figure out why.

My first instinct is to toss the check in the woodstove but I will probably give most of it to local food pantries. For some reason this old song by Dick Curless has been stuck in my head...

/ Essential Workers? #16  

There are probably 10 bureaucrats in the regional office and above sitting around to every one of the hard workers in the field.

/ Essential Workers? #18  
I worked full time all through the shutdown... my state just borrowed 14.9 million dollars to give me and others who did the same a "bonus". Today I received a $285 check... am still scratching my head trying to figure out why.

My first instinct is to toss the check in the woodstove but I will probably give most of it to local food pantries. For some reason this old song by Dick Curless has been stuck in my head...

The guys From the regional and state office sitting at home watching a few zoom meetings a week probably received checks with several more zeroes on them.

/ Essential Workers? #19  
There are probably 10 bureaucrats in the regional office and above sitting around to every one of the hard workers in the field.
I work in the Regional office. Our director frequently is dealing with budget, management meetings and calls late into the evenings, often from home. Things are busy. We have millions of acres that we manage and lots of publics to serve.

/ Essential Workers? #20  
I work in the Regional office. Our director frequently is dealing with budget, management meetings and calls late into the evenings, often from home. Things are busy. We have millions of acres that we manage and lots of publics to serve.
Come on, stop trying to ruin a perfectly good stereotype.

What always gets me is how many people feel that public employees should be treated like servants; then don't understand when they develop an attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.