Estimate of the Cost of Welding

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #11  
The local shop here would charge $30~40 if you removed it from the mower and brought it to him.

I'd do it for free. Sometimes I can't find enough things to weld! ;)

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #12  
Around here, if you take it to a metal shop or welding shop, the minimum is $30. Atrocious! ............................snip....................................

Nothing wrong with a shop having a minimum $30 charge.

Guys working in the shop are there hopefully to make a decent living wage and the shop owner is trying to make a decent profit and will have to have a minimum charge, otherwise they will end up wasting lot of time with cheap "customers".

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #13  
Around here, if you take it to a metal shop or welding shop, the minimum is $30. Atrocious! Took 3 minutes to weld a bracket that cracked. I had already prepped it by grinding the edges and cleaning it up.

So I went to Harbor Freight and bought a $199 welder. Do all my own repairs now, and I'm fabricating a drive over grate for a trough drain. Spent $21 on rebar, will save a couple hundred by making one instead of buying one.
I have a 2 hour minimum at my fab shop. $250 minimum repair cost.

That said, I generally fix my friends and neighbors stuff free. I had one friend who insisted that he pay. I told him what the minimum charge was, he was a lot less insistent, and very grateful.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #14  
Around here, if you take it to a metal shop or welding shop, the minimum is $30. Atrocious! Took 3 minutes to weld a bracket that cracked. I had already prepped it by grinding the edges and cleaning it up.

So I went to Harbor Freight and bought a $199 welder. Do all my own repairs now, and I'm fabricating a drive over grate for a trough drain. Spent $21 on rebar, will save a couple hundred by making one instead of buying one.
$30 wouldn’t get me to look at your project so I’d say that’s a bargain. Good on you for getting a cheap welder and doing great things with it, good on you. But if someone is doing it for a living that $30 may be the whole days wage if he doesn’t have other projects and he’s probably invested thousands in equipment and probably some certifications etc., 1 Tim 5:18 and all.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #15  
I have a 2 hour minimum at my fab shop. $250 minimum repair cost.

That said, I generally fix my friends and neighbors stuff free. I had one friend who insisted that he pay. I told him what the minimum charge was, he was a lot less insistent, and very grateful.
When I did dive services I had a pretty big show up fee and jobs less than 30 min got a clean up fee (saltwater diving usually took 45min-hr of maintenance after a dive). At the end of the day you have to make a living and cover expenses which for a lot of “services” is much more significant than most realize.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #16  

$30 is actually a pretty cheap minimum. It might take 3 minutes to actually weld but the total time invested is far more.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #17  
Definitely takes more than 3 minutes to prep and weld. Plus a squirt of master match and there's your 150$ It would be interesting what the OP pays in the end. He just asked a simple question, a good one at that.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding #18  
I can't think of a single shop where he could get it done for $30! He might do better to take a dozen sausage biscuits early in the morning, or maybe six pack late in the day, and get it done "off the clock".
David from jax

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding
Find neighbor with home/shop welder and give him a 12 pack of adult beverages....

IF you were closer I would do it for 2 6packs of A&W root beer...
DL,

Funny you say that. I called my next-door neighbor at my property asking for a weld shop nearby, and he immediately said he didn't know of any, but that he would do it. He said it took him all of 10-15 minutes since I had already cleaned an preped the area. By the way, he said most weld shops have shutdown in the area since people didn't want to pay much and it was hard to stay in business.

/ Estimate of the Cost of Welding
30$ is atrocious? At least you found a hobby out of it. Nobody touches anything for under a 100 on a walk in job by me that I know of. BTW, I weld many of these Husqvarna decks. 46"? No gussets or other reinforcement normally required unless the housing is starting to deteriorate. They will weld in both sides of the bracket and hopefully hit the other side as well.
Yes, it's an Ariens mower but identical to the Husqvarna.