ETA Subsoiler

/ ETA Subsoiler #1  

Sysop

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - Husqvarna TS348-D purchased 2019 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2003
Just order my ETA Subsoiler today. Got my shipping information and they said it will ship tomorrow. I can't wait!

/ ETA Subsoiler #2  
:thumbsup: Updates please.

/ ETA Subsoiler
Well, since ETA (and many other implement makers) state they only ship free to business addresses, I had asked my dealer if I could have implements shipped to their location and pick them up, they said that would be fine by them. Even told me if I got something too large to load by hand they'd fire up a new tractor on the lot to assist loading (that will be really nice when I order my BushHog RMB1445:)). When talking to ETA they said the subsoiler was small enough they could ship it to the farm fine, but since I already had things setup for the dealer to receive it, I stuck with that plan.

ETA was a breeze to deal with, they got the item shipped out today as they said they would, and they sent it as two packages. FedEx says each of the two weighs 63LBS and they estimate arrival at my dealer on Thursday... I'll update with pics, assembly, and first use thoughts as things progress...

/ ETA Subsoiler #4  
We appreciate the business Sysop. I look forward to hearing about your subsoiler when you get it!

We do offer several attachments with free UPS/Fed-Ex ground shipping within 1,000 miles to a farm/residence.
The most popular items are:

ETA Subsoiler
ETA Post Hole Diggers. Yes! All of them except for the 7500 HD Category 2.
ETA HD Potato Plow/Middlebuster
ETA 3pt Receiver Hitches
ETA 3pt Garden Bedders except for the GB70(70" wide)
60" and 72" ETA Pine Needle Rakes

There are more, but those are the most popular items.
Travis

Last edited:
   / ETA Subsoiler
I've been impressed by you guys since I learned about you. I will be opening a second shop at my farm and will soon have a business license for that location. I have plenty of room for UPS freight semi trucks at my place (been there several times in recent history), forks to unload stuff off the back of a truck, and I'm right along one of America's oldest "coast to coast" highways so trucks have no issues finding me. I'll soon be working around the "business location" limitation of the free shipping (sort of what I'm waiting on before getting an ETA grapple!) :). Too bad I'm not a rich man or I'd keep you guys busy in shipping, you have LOTS of toy-erm ---I mean tools, that I'd have a use for...

Keep up the good work!

/ ETA Subsoiler
Well, it arrived fine. FedEx apparently banged the boxes around a good bit and the box the blade was in had a couple small holes and the foam filler was partly in pieces, paint got a little chipped on a few things, but no worries; it is nothing any worse than I have intentions on doing to it during normal operations. Here was how it arrived:
boxes.jpg

After assembly (which was a breeze), I thought I'd give it a whirl before putting it in the barn. One of the places we drive by the barn has quite a bit of compaction and water stands when it rains, so I thought I'd test it on that. Knowing that it will probably be the hardest part of my land I figured it would be a good test.

Made one slow 60' pass just beside where the tires of our vehicles compact, awesome.
firsttest.jpg

Started to make another pass a few feet from it and made it about 30' and bang went the sheer bolt. Knew I needed the sheer due to the rocky soil here, thank goodness for it or the whole thing would have been a pretzel. I was in low range at 1500RPM and hardly moving, so pretzel may be an exaggeration, but needless to say I'm tickled to have spent the extra on one with a sheer bolt design. Here is how far I made it on the second pass:
secondtest.jpg

I fully expected if it was going to sheer, this part of the land would be the place it would sheer, so no big deal. The only concern I have is when the sheer bolt sheered, half popped off, the other half bent and acted as a wedge that bent the bracket slightly.

bentbartop.jpg

bentbarbottom.jpg

Upon inspection, I can see there are masses of fill weld between the plates that make up the bracket, and none at the tip of the square rod spacing the two plates apart. I'm thinking if I straighten the bend and put a little more weld at the tip of the square rode spacing the two plates, it may provide a bit of extra support (since the bend occurred at this exact spot).

bentbarmiddle.jpg

Overall I am pleased with the weight and design. I am very pleased I got the sheer style instead of a rigid unit. I would purchase again even with the minor day one setback.

/ ETA Subsoiler #7  
the welds in the last pic don't look real good. I would grind part of it out and then weld all the way around

/ ETA Subsoiler
Woke up to a PM today from Travis concerned about the issue I experienced. He asked for some additional pictures, asked if the bushing around the sheer bolt was in place properly, few other things. Was concern perhaps I had the top bracket upside down, I don't think it was as I understand by the geometry of it, the slot formed in the one side of the bracket is made to allow full motion of the main upright blade plate. Not saying I didn't have a brain fart, but I don't think I put it on upside down...

When he had asked if the bushing was in place, he'd mentioned they sometimes will come loose in transit and the sheer bolt relies on it to sheer properly, if it wasn't installed that could be the reason the bolt bent rather than sheered. I had recalled that the bushing was partly out, and when I tapped it back into place I had noted that it wasn't as long as the thickness of the plate and when tapping it in I made sure it was centered. Upon going out and taking the additional pictures, I noticed the bushing was off center, and the side that wasn't filled with bushing was the side the sheer bolt had bent on.

bushing.jpg

I sent the additional images, he called me, we discussed the bit about the top bracket, they're sending out the needed parts to get me back in operation and I'll send the old parts back to them. Another reason to go with Everything Attachments, they care. Impressively good bunch of guys.

/ ETA Subsoiler #9  
My boxes looked the same I think it's just the weight and awkward size.

I'm surprised you sheered the bolt, I got a few spares but haven't sheered one yet.

I use mine to pop rocks out of the ground, and has worked beautifully. Once I hit the rock, extend my top link and up 3pt and there's the rock.

Glad ETA took care of ya.

image-1150310644.jpg

image-3263286726.jpg

/ ETA Subsoiler #10  
My bother has one without a shear pin but I now see the top link moves at the rear connection so his makes sense now. I was just laying in a barn without good lighting. I plan to use it to rip up the acre we cleared at church for a new parking lot. The ground is low and on a field half a mile away it was much dryer after I ripped it deep about every 3'. We do not have rocks in the soil however. I may do it after I get down a layer of the clayless gravel and that should help with the perk for years to come. I have never used one without a shear pin but I have never sheared a pin but by going very slow and very deep the tractor would spin out if hitting something solid under ground.