ethanol and fuel lines

/ ethanol and fuel lines
I use mine several times a week for hrs at a time.. No problems... could it be the way that the brand of 2 cycle oil used is reacting with the ethanol ?? I've only used synthetic 2 cycle oil in mine since new

so far all the stuff I've had fuel line failures in was 4 cycle.

I remember when our diesel went bio blended. i went thru orings in my diesels too..

soundguy

/ ethanol and fuel lines #12  
A lot of my stuff will sit for weeks or months, both 4 and 2 cycle. Depends on what I'm doing.

I do use synthetic 2 cycle oil, but no additives in the 4 cycle engines.

/ ethanol and fuel lines #13  
Neat (100%) gasoline is becomming VERY difficult to get in may areas of the country. In fact, in most large cities you cannot buy it and if you can it had better be going into a gas can and not your vehicle!

"They" claim blended fuels lower pollution, really? How can you burn 10% more fuel and lower total pollution? The answer is YOU CAN'T. They make these (IMO bogus claims) based on testing of emissions AT IDLE, where a large part of automotive emission in large cities happen. But taken on the whole, you pollute MORE with blended fuel than with neat gasoline.

Ethanol DOES attack many plastics, aggressively absorbs moisture, and causes a "lean" fuel condition on ANY carburated engine.
- Restricted fuel filters from hose debris => lean mixtures under load
- Restricted carb jets from "fuzz" created by ethanol => lean always
- Moisture in fuel => Lean always
- Lower energy content means greater power settings are required to to the same job => more heat in engine
- Hotter burn of ethanol => more engine heat.

It is CLEAR to any one that operates or repairs "SGEs" (Small Gas Engines) that Ethanol blended fuel is a TERRIBLE thing for the OWER of the equipment and great for the manufacturer, retailer and repair shop.

All the engine I have state that "up to 5% ethanol is ok" and add that blends containing over 5% should be avoided as they can deteriorate the fuel system and lead to internal engine damage.

I think we need a MANDATE that requires the distribution and sale of "Neat unleaded gasoline", containing no lead and no "oxygenates" and that is ROAD TAX FREE.

I know I would GLADLY pay the same as the going rate for standard 87 octane blended gas for "Neat Gas" just so I wouldn't have to deal with the storage and carb problems that blended gasoline causes.

/ ethanol and fuel lines #14  
Neat (100%) gasoline is becomming VERY difficult to get in may areas of the country. In fact, in most large cities you cannot buy it and if you can it had better be going into a gas can and not your vehicle!

"They" claim blended fuels lower pollution, really? How can you burn 10% more fuel and lower total pollution? The answer is YOU CAN'T. They make these (IMO bogus claims) based on testing of emissions AT IDLE, where a large part of automotive emission in large cities happen. But taken on the whole, you pollute MORE with blended fuel than with neat gasoline.

Ethanol DOES attack many plastics, aggressively absorbs moisture, and causes a "lean" fuel condition on ANY carburated engine.
- Restricted fuel filters from hose debris => lean mixtures under load
- Restricted carb jets from "fuzz" created by ethanol => lean always
- Moisture in fuel => Lean always
- Lower energy content means greater power settings are required to to the same job => more heat in engine
- Hotter burn of ethanol => more engine heat.

It is CLEAR to any one that operates or repairs "SGEs" (Small Gas Engines) that Ethanol blended fuel is a TERRIBLE thing for the OWER of the equipment and great for the manufacturer, retailer and repair shop.

All the engine I have state that "up to 5% ethanol is ok" and add that blends containing over 5% should be avoided as they can deteriorate the fuel system and lead to internal engine damage.

I think we need a MANDATE that requires the distribution and sale of "Neat unleaded gasoline", containing no lead and no "oxygenates" and that is ROAD TAX FREE.

I know I would GLADLY pay the same as the going rate for standard 87 octane blended gas for "Neat Gas" just so I wouldn't have to deal with the storage and carb problems that blended gasoline causes.

I agree, but who's going to sell it? I live outside Seattle and I can't even find anyone who sells red dye diesel.

/ ethanol and fuel lines
around here, there used to be a station that sold 'racing' gas for the high rpm, high comp rate dirt track cars.. was 100 octane.. havn't seen that in a while.. I think the local ( 50 miles away ) marina and airport both sell 100av gas..

soundguy

/ ethanol and fuel lines #16  
around here, there used to be a station that sold 'racing' gas for the high rpm, high comp rate dirt track cars.. was 100 octane.. havn't seen that in a while.. I think the local ( 50 miles away ) marina and airport both sell 100av gas..

soundguy

Again, it's back to who's going to carry and sell it. Most people, IMO, aren't going to drive 100 miles round trip for two gallons of gas to extend the life on their $100 weed eaters. Unless there's enough continous demand, no-one is going to tie up a tank to supply it. That's the problem around here with red dye. It's all city here any more and no-one has the equipment to require the red dye so no-one carries it. I could drive the 100+ miles round trip for it, but that would cost more than just buying road diesel from the nearest gas station. Not to mention the extra miles on my vehicle.

Soundguy, what's the CUV that you mentioned in your origional post?

/ ethanol and fuel lines
It's a yerfdog 'scout' TSC and Sams club sold them... they also made 2 styles of go-karts for kids .... the co went out of business, but a holdings company owns them now and has some parts support. A lil research seems to indicate the man who owned the co has opened before selling similar machines.. just can't seem to keep the co's open for mor ethan a few years at a time.

I keep the oil changed in mine.. and hope she stays running.. the engine and tranny/diffy are 1 piece.. likely chinese.. I have seen them in some other small gas engine vehicles.. the pip tubing frame is welded up around the engine.. so I'm not sure a retrofit would be too easy.. :) so I'm hopiong to get my money out of her.. though probably won't. I got her on clearance from TSC .. so far that looks like I've paid about 50$ per hour to use her thus far based on the time on the clock :)

So far only issue's I've had with here were:

bad / poorly written service instruction booklet.. there is a gear oil fill on the lower end unit and some sort of opening to a cavityaround the lower end housing on the same unit.. both are about 1 inch apart and have the same bolt closing them off.. the manual directions are vauge as to which is the gear oil fill.. so the first time I serviced the lower end, I was adding oil to one hole, and saw it dribbling out around the bottom housing :(

tube frame was made around the engine.. so checking or adding oil to the rear end or the engine requires you to use a flexible tube to snake under the rear tilt bed after lifting it, so you can get to the fil lholes on top of the engine/tranny assembly, which is rightg under the bed with about 2" clearance.. :)

starter power is a direct line, and all aux power is thru a fuse.. the holder is in a spot that is open to the bottom, so hitting a mud puddle douses the fuse with water, coroding the brass holeder so next time you want to start, you have to pop the plastic cover off, and rotate the fuse around.

fixed that with a piece of flashing and then grease potted the fuse... no more isues there.

tranny shift is a boat throttle linkage.. if you don't exercise it, it gets stiff.. a lil cable lube hels that though.

was once driving here and front wheel cambered out. i stopped her before anything broke.. what basically looke dlike a lower control arm ball joint had come apart.. I couldn't find a nut to put it back together and was getting desperate when i noticed the nut looked alot like a lugnut on an ford 8n front wheel... had a box of used ones.. what do you know.. same thread and size.. :)

soundguy

/ ethanol and fuel lines #18  
We live about an hour outside of the DFW metroplex and until today had no problems getting Neat Gasoline. My son and I went to town to fill the van, get the gascans topped off and get diesel for the tractor. Well the store that HAD non-blended gas was sold out, all grades, and they did not know when they would get their loads. They had diesel, but we elected to try another station closer to the interstate. Well all they had was blended gas, we were out, so we bought it but I am not happy about it.

It looks like we will need to pay more attention in the future :(

/ ethanol and fuel lines #19  
We have had E10 for nearly 20 years here and run it in all my handheld and small engines with no issues.

/ ethanol and fuel lines #20  
There is are several stations around here that sell pure gas at the 93 octane level. One is the next town over in Ga the other is at a big staiton i pass sometimes while working about 30miles from my home, they also sell racing fuel thats like 104 octane or so and i think is usually like 2-3 times the price of regular, now it may be 5.99 or 6.99 /gallon.