Ethanol free gas?

/ Ethanol free gas? #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I know, not another thread on ethanol gas. I am aware of the issues and that’s not my problem. The issue is I had a source for 91 octane ethanol free. I used this on small engines, chainsaws etc. This station stopped carrying it. I can get ethanol free 87 octane. Most likely not a problem except in the two stroke stuff. I think 87 is to low for my chainsaws. My plan is I have a two gallon can, I will get a gallon of 93 octane ethanol gas and blend it with a gallon of 87 octane ethanol free gas. Is this a good plan?

/ Ethanol free gas? #2  
True fuel sold at the box stores is 92 octane , a little pricey but the equipment starts every time now vs a carb rebuild or a new friggin carb .
I think any ethanol in a small , seldom use motor is a potential for issues
even if you mix it to 50%, if you are near any marinas they often have ethanol free

/ Ethanol free gas? #3  
I know, not another thread on ethanol gas. I am aware of the issues and that’s not my problem. The issue is I had a source for 91 octane ethanol free. I used this on small engines, chainsaws etc. This station stopped carrying it. I can get ethanol free 87 octane. Most likely not a problem except in the two stroke stuff. I think 87 is to low for my chainsaws. My plan is I have a two gallon can, I will get a gallon of 93 octane ethanol gas and blend it with a gallon of 87 octane ethanol free gas. Is this a good plan?

To my knowledge, ethanol is/was just hard on plastics (Cadillac intake manifolds) and certain rubbers (Hoses, etc) in the old days. I thought most engines have been ethanol-proofed for quite a while.

I also wasn't aware that 2 stroke engines, with their low compression ratio, needed higher octane gasoline.

Ethanol has a much higher octane than gasoline and you might find that some, not all, maybe not even very many, use ethanol as an octane booster in their 'premium' gasoline.

/ Ethanol free gas? #4  
So the ONLY question you want answered is can you mix 87 and 93 to get 91?

Correct?

/ Ethanol free gas? #5  
I read it as " is mixing ethanol a good plan" ;-)

/ Ethanol free gas? #6  
I use the 89 octane Also add a fuel conditioner and octane boost.
Use the mix in everything gas except vehicles.
All run great

/ Ethanol free gas? #7  
Oooo I didn't see that his 93 was ethanol.

In all reality, mixing fuels of different octanes and ethanol/non ethanol isn't going to cause a problem. If it were, there'd be damaged engines all over the place and warnings at fuel stations.

/ Ethanol free gas?
So the ONLY question you want answered is can you mix 87 and 93 to get 91?

Correct?

That was part of my thinking, the other is does only having 5% ethanol vs 10% ethanol gain me anything.

/ Ethanol free gas? #9  
That was part of my thinking, the other is does only having 5% ethanol vs 10% ethanol gain me anything.
You aren't going to notice a thing with those small amounts. Unless you do some pretty exact before and after benchmark comparisons with test gear, nothing's gonna be provable by feel.

/ Ethanol free gas? #10  
Best practices would be to run the octane rating recommended by the manufacturer 100% of the time unless the engine has been modified.

I can't think of many small engines that call for 91 octane.