Ever tried this?

/ Ever tried this? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501

Yeah, I really did. Works pretty good too. It's just the getting up and down that kills me. There was some blood involved....:ashamed: The red head was in town that day so it was a good time to do some limb trimming along the field line. Some of these were hanging way down and difficult to cut under. The only thing is that I got busted by my oldest son that lives across the road from me. He went back to his house for lunch and spotted me then called the red head who promptly tore me up when she got home....ouch. :mad: I did tell him thanks a lot for turning me in. :confused3: I spent all day doing this up and down and up and down...:( My knees still hurt. Now if I can just figure out a way to pay him back? Hmmmmm.

/ Ever tried this? #2  
Using a chain saw on a ladder is something one should never do.

Over age of 65, 40% of broken hips proceed to pneumonia and death. (Almost all falls in that statistic would be in the home, from standing to the floor.)

I would guess a ladder fall, landing first on the FEL, would be 90% fatal.

Some work should be hired out or left to nature.

Last edited:
   / Ever tried this? #3  
Man, that is not the way I would go about that. Looks like that high branch broke and came back to visit you...could have gone really bad.

Glad everything turned out okay.

/ Ever tried this?
Man, that is not the way I would go about that. Looks like that high branch broke and came back to visit you...could have gone really bad.

Glad everything turned out okay.

That's exactly what it did. Twisted around and tried to get me. Nothing like a 60 year old slightly overweight plump guy hanging onto a tree for dear life. I did tie myself off first but I don't know if that would help if the limb came around on me like that. My luck would be the rope would slip up and hang me by the neck. That would be quite permanent. I've been cutting my own firewood for my wood heater all my life and have had some close calls. I really hate it when an entire tree starts twisting around unexpectedly and goes where it darn well pleases. I just run like heck when that has happened.

/ Ever tried this? #5  
I watched my dad stand a homemade ladder on the hood of an old automobile, to get to the top of a second story porch. It worked out for him. This was in the early 60's and at the time, I didn't know he drank.

/ Ever tried this? #7  
That's almost as bad as the photo of the guy standing on a aluminum ladder in the middle of a indoor pool changing a light bulb in the ceiling . LOL.

/ Ever tried this? #8  
Yikes. I'd invest in a good pole saw. Lots of ways that could go bad and a landing on the tractor or FEL isn't going to be pretty.

/ Ever tried this? #9  
I can tell from the pic that you don't really know what you are doing or were not paying attention to what you were doing. Either way your son should have told on you because he cared for you. If I were you I would pay him back by taking him fishing, or out to eat or something to say thank you. Ed

/ Ever tried this? #10  
I have done it. The 8 ft step ladder fits just right in back of my pickup (did use a strap). That with pole saw gave me height to trim branches drooping over cars.

I don't do these thing alone. Always make sure that I have someone there that knows the number for 9-1-1.