Everlast PA160 Plug end wiring confusion

/ Everlast PA160 Plug end wiring confusion #1  

Gregster613

Platinum Member
Southern Ca. halfway up a mountain in rural Ramona
Tractor
273 TYM. 2009 //Yardmachines 7 Speed Shift-on-the-goScotts L2048
I've got a PA160 and the cheesy manual doesn't give detailed guidance on how to hook up the plug. It saves "plug to be provided by owner." I've had a plug on the end to run from my generator, and it's worked fine but I've only welded with it 2 - 3 times. I put a 4 prong twist lock for the generator use but am now planning out a plug system within the garage and want to ensure I run the right color wires from the load center to the receptacle! I also have a transformer 225AC welder (that I've never yet used) and I'm sure the proper plug wiring for that is Black/Red hot, Green ground! I plan to use both welders and would like to use the same plug for both. (I know which plug it is I just can't remember the proper number at the moment). So I could use either welder (at a different time of course) from the same connection.

My problem is that the manual gives little guidance. I have no problem with that but when I look into my manual it doesn't even show a straight 160. It lists a host of welders but says PA160STS and shows using the Black/White as the hot wires? And capping off the red? I realize the wires don't know what color they are but I want to ensure I won't do any internal damage to my machine if I use the standard color configuration - Black/Red hot, Green ground! I thought maybe even using the white/green together at the female end where the welder will plug into? Ground and common (in a 220V system) are the same, aren't they?

What I was hoping for is an Everlast owner (PA160 owner would be ideal!) would chime in and comment on how they wired their welder plug. I don't remember how I wired in the twist lock for my generator and I know I could open it up and look but maybe I've been wrong for these last few years! Like I said I only rarely weld, but that's because it's a real pain to transport my bulky generator from it's main location by the house to my workshop.

I read a host of great stuff in the recent "Wiring a home/garage for a welder" thread and got a lot of ideas on what to do/what "not" to do but my question is slightly different. So, is my thought pattern on the straight path here? Black/Red hot, Green/white ground? Thanks for any guidance offered! Greg

/ Everlast PA160 Plug end wiring confusion #2  
Many Chinese welders use those color configs. As long as green is ground you should be safe. Don't run white and green together. Often the red is for 3 phase and you cap it off for single phase operation. I can't speak for Everlast but it might be best to contact them. They would know best. Good luck !

/ Everlast PA160 Plug end wiring confusion #3  
On a 240 volt machine colors with black and white for 240V with green as safety (chassis) ground if it has a four wire cord the red (or remaining color) it is probably a "neutral" if something in welder (fans?) that use 120 Volts....

Instructions in manual seem pretty clear....

Screenshot 2023-07-09 092608.jpg

Sketch below is "typical" of four prong "twist lock" plug (ignore colors in sketch wire for "Position")...

Screenshot 2023-07-09 094838.jpg

IF you want to keep twist lock on welder cord so it is "portable" with generator just wire in a NEMA L14-30R (receptacle) for welder service in
shop/garage...

Last edited:
   / Everlast PA160 Plug end wiring confusion
On a 240 volt machine colors with black and white for 240V with green as safety (chassis) ground if it has a four wire cord the red (or remaining color) it is probably a "neutral" if something in welder (fans?) that use 120 Volts....

Instructions in manual seem pretty clear....

View attachment 810232

Sketch below is "typical" of four prong "twist lock" plug (ignore colors in sketch wire for "Position")...

View attachment 810236

IF you want to keep twist lock on welder cord so it is "portable" with generator just wire in a NEMA L14-30R (receptacle) for welder service in
shop/garage...
Thanks for the knowledgeable advice Yomax! I read in the manual somewhere that it said to cap off the red unless running 3 phase. I'm only concerned with single phase. So I guess I must use the white for 1 of the hots. White/black for my 220V. Green as ground. This will be a dedicated welder circuit and I plan to mark it as such on the receptacle!

WranglerX, Yes that is the manual page I was referring to and that is the same Nema 6-50 plug that my AC 225-S uses. I wanted to wire up my system so that each welder uses the same style plug. I will probably never use the AC welder but want the option to do so if I ever want to try it on some project. Probably dumb on my part but I got confused when it said to use white wire as a hot; I've "always" thought of white as common (alternative ground).
Thanks for that sketch on wiring a L14-30R. I'll make up a short extension cord for the remote chance of needing to use my generator at some point in the future. Although I wonder if the neutral even needs to be used? For the welder as long as it has 220V and ground, why would the neutral even matter when hooked to a generator? Couldn't it just be left as an empty slot? My generator has its own ground. Thanks to both of you for the advice! I believe I've enough info now to not screw anything up - I hope!! Greg

/ Everlast PA160 Plug end wiring confusion #5  
A 220Volt ac welder does not use a neutral..... White wire will be neutral on 120Volt circuit..... White wire can be hot (L1 or L2) on 240 Volt AC circuit... It is all about application voltage...

If you have NEMA 6-50 plug in shop and want to keep twist lock plug on welder, make simple adapter..

NEMA 6-50 to 14-30.jpg

OR just buy one...

Last edited:
A 220Volt ac welder does not use a neutral..... White wir ewill be neutral onb 120Volt circuit..... White wire can be hot (L1 or L2) on 240 Volt AC circuit... It is all about application voltage...

If you have NEMA 6-50 plug in shop and want to keep twist lock plug on welder, make simple adapter..

View attachment 810342

OR just buy one...

Got ya WranglerX....Thanks again.

/ Everlast PA160 Plug end wiring confusion #7  
Normally if the white wire is used as a hot wire an electrician will put a couple of tape wraps on it. For wiring in your panel box if available red and black for hot otherwise put a tape wrap on the white.

Normally if the white wire is used as a hot wire an electrician will put a couple of tape wraps on it. For wiring in your panel box if available red and black for hot otherwise put a tape wrap on the white.
LouNY, That's also a "great" idea that I wouldn't have thought of ahead of time...I'll plan on putting a red wrap on the white that goes to the breaker and at the opposite end. Thanks for the reminder! I've been puzzling over this since the beginning but it's all coming together. I realize now that using the white (as hot) is simply so a person can use 2 conductor wire vice 3 in a welding circuit!

/ Everlast PA160 Plug end wiring confusion #9  
I've got a PA160 and the cheesy manual doesn't give detailed guidance on how to hook up the plug. It saves "plug to be provided by owner." I've had a plug on the end to run from my generator, and it's worked fine but I've only welded with it 2 - 3 times. I put a 4 prong twist lock for the generator use but am now planning out a plug system within the garage and want to ensure I run the right color wires from the load center to the receptacle! I also have a transformer 225AC welder (that I've never yet used) and I'm sure the proper plug wiring for that is Black/Red hot, Green ground! I plan to use both welders and would like to use the same plug for both. (I know which plug it is I just can't remember the proper number at the moment). So I could use either welder (at a different time of course) from the same connection.

My problem is that the manual gives little guidance. I have no problem with that but when I look into my manual it doesn't even show a straight 160. It lists a host of welders but says PA160STS and shows using the Black/White as the hot wires? And capping off the red? I realize the wires don't know what color they are but I want to ensure I won't do any internal damage to my machine if I use the standard color configuration - Black/Red hot, Green ground! I thought maybe even using the white/green together at the female end where the welder will plug into? Ground and common (in a 220V system) are the same, aren't they?

What I was hoping for is an Everlast owner (PA160 owner would be ideal!) would chime in and comment on how they wired their welder plug. I don't remember how I wired in the twist lock for my generator and I know I could open it up and look but maybe I've been wrong for these last few years! Like I said I only rarely weld, but that's because it's a real pain to transport my bulky generator from it's main location by the house to my workshop.

I read a host of great stuff in the recent "Wiring a home/garage for a welder" thread and got a lot of ideas on what to do/what "not" to do but my question is slightly different. So, is my thought pattern on the straight path here? Black/Red hot, Green/white ground? Thanks for any guidance offered! Greg
The manual does mention and show it. Cheesy? Have you compared other manuals that don't give you that much information from the major manufacturers? I doubt it. lol. PA 160 has to be 10 or 12 years old now. Just hooking it up the first time?