Exercise Ideas ,,, WITHOUT Spending $$$ !

/ Exercise Ideas ,,, WITHOUT Spending $$$ ! #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
I have been on an exercise "kick" almost all of 2019,,
what I am finding is that almost all exercise is boring,, so I try to keep changing what I am doing,,

My question is,, what do you do for exercise that is low cost? ,,, and most importantly, not the same old thing,,,

What I have done so far,,
The local "YMCA" had a free signup period, and I am using that,, machines and some weights,
I am trying to stick to machines right now, as I am not an experienced "weightlifter" , and at my age, I do not want to hurt something,

Walking,,, after 40 minutes, I am REALLY bored,,, less than an hour, I do not think it is helping,, much,,

Planking,, I am amazed I can even do that for 2 minutes,, I think planking is a good one,,

Work around the property,, I have done a LOT around my place,, by hand, rather than using the front end loader,,
I have spread tons of gravel, moved many tons of decorative stones, and cut a LOT of firewood for my neighbor,,

So, that is where I am at,,
and my question is,,, what can I add to the list, that is exercise, and is NOT boring!!?? :confused:

/ Exercise Ideas ,,, WITHOUT Spending $$$ ! #2  
I personally run, but if you do trail running it is more interesting. Lots to see in the woods and I am often surprised how often I pass a deer 10' away and it just watches me jog on by. Kind of neat.

Splitting firewood is a good workout.

/ Exercise Ideas ,,, WITHOUT Spending $$$ ! #3  
I had a guy working with me who had a handshake like putting your hand in a vice.

This guy was from Ethiopia and was working as a dishwasher at a hotel I worked at. He had zero money, I think he was a boat person or some sort of legal refugee.

This guy had arms like the calf of an average mand leg. I asked him how he got so strong. He went through a litany of devices he made.
He filled coffee cans with cement and used a pice as barbells. GE cut up inner tubes and used those as pulling exercises screwed to a wall.
He got free tractor loader tires and tossed those around. Used a rope and jumped rope.

I'm sure there were more but he was in better shape than all the guys that had gym memberships that were in management and worked with us.

/ Exercise Ideas ,,, WITHOUT Spending $$$ ! #4  
I had a guy working with me who had a handshake like putting your hand in a vice.

This guy was from Ethiopia and was working as a dishwasher at a hotel I worked at. He had zero money, I think he was a boat person or some sort of legal refugee.

This guy had arms like the calf of an average mand leg. I asked him how he got so strong. He went through a litany of devices he made.
He filled coffee cans with cement and used a pice as barbells. GE cut up inner tubes and used those as pulling exercises screwed to a wall.
He got free tractor loader tires and tossed those around. Used a rope and jumped rope.

I'm sure there were more but he was in better shape than all the guys that had gym memberships that were in management and worked with us.
Ahh, so he did cross fit :D

A tv and good movie or show really cut down on the boardom while walking on a treadmill, stationary bike, or elliptical. I alternated between an elliptical and walking a brisk pace on the treadmill for my cardio. Then worked the machines at the gym. I try to keep it low impact. My knees can't handle running.

I alternated days, so my body couldn't get used to one routine. So machines first then cardio. Next day was cardio, then machines. Throw in a stair stepper on occasion just before the cardio as well for a little extra kick.

Never could spend much time on a stationary bike. Knees would cramp up within a few minutes.

/ Exercise Ideas ,,, WITHOUT Spending $$$ ! #5  
One of the best exercises it digging with a spade. So... put in a garden. I know that does help in the winter but get the planning done now so you can work in the spring. You can still work at get compost ready. Timbers for the edging etc. The reward will come all summer. Peas, potatoes, beans, corn, tomatoes are work to grow. If a small area does not keep you busy grow enough for some elderly poorer neighbors that could use the company and the food. It may not be exercise but it will keep you fit all summer.

/ Exercise Ideas ,,, WITHOUT Spending $$$ ! #6  
I walk 2-3 miles a day weather permitting. I got a treadmill thinking I walk more indoors without the need to get 'public dressed', but haven't used it as much as planned. Do as much yard work by hand as I can. Use a push mower when possible instead of the riders.

Tried running a bit. Knees started acting up, so had to stop that.

Been slacking off too much lately and feel it. Need to get back into a routine. Four to six weeks laid up due to my hand didn't help at all.

/ Exercise Ideas ,,, WITHOUT Spending $$$ ! #7  
I guess it depends where you walk. My wife and I walk a lot. Usually about 3.5 miles per hour. Lots of walking paths, parks, trails, etc... in our area. We try to walk at least an hour a day. Kinda hard in winter when it gets dark at 5:00pm. But I average 3-4 miles per day at work, she averaged 2.5 on her lunch hour, but also rides an elliptical machine for 45 minutes every morning at home. 3-4 hour walks on weekends are normal for us. I've held within 5 pounds of my weight for several years. I take the stairs at my job as often as possible, only using the elevator if I have to haul parts.

Swimming is another great exercise if you have access to water.

/ Exercise Ideas ,,, WITHOUT Spending $$$ ! #8  
Digging stumps out by hand is great exercise too. You get to use all your muscles using shovels, pickax, hatchets/axes, post hole digger,....real fun too. Be sure to move the dirt with 5 gal pails and a wheelbarrow.

/ Exercise Ideas ,,, WITHOUT Spending $$$ ! #9  
If you're serious...Get a reel type (manual, not powered) lawn mower...

/ Exercise Ideas ,,, WITHOUT Spending $$$ ! #10  
Does your YMCA have a racquetball court? That will get get you moving and also sharpens reflexes and it's lots of fun. Lots of clubs around but that can get spendy.