Exhaust pipe modification L3700

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #11  
it's good to have a restriction at the end of the series of mufflers, let's say 1/2 the diameter of the exhaust pipe, mufflers are designed to operate with a back pressure, and if you use an exhaust pipe with too large a diameter, you'll get a low frequency rumble that travels far.. on a 100 HP engine/Generator I made, I used 2 oval mufflers, and reduced the final outlet to half the diameter of the exhaust pipe, and got full out put from the Engine, and could not hear it at all from 10 ft. away.. totally silent.. right at it, it was very quiet.. it was very faint at 5 ft. away.. people that like a very powerful low frequency rumble from a high performance car would use large diameter pipes to get that type of sound, and only use 1 muffler.. but, for a tractor, being quiet is much better.. the engines don't rev very high anyway, so a large exhaust is not needed..

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #12  
it's good to have a restriction at the end of the series of mufflers, let's say 1/2 the diameter of the exhaust pipe, mufflers are designed to operate with a back pressure, and if you use an exhaust pipe with too large a diameter, you'll get a low frequency rumble that travels far.. on a 100 HP engine/Generator I made, I used 2 oval mufflers, and reduced the final outlet to half the diameter of the exhaust pipe, and got full out put from the Engine, and could not hear it at all from 10 ft. away.. totally silent.. right at it, it was very quiet.. it was very faint at 5 ft. away.. people that like a very powerful low frequency rumble from a high performance car would use large diameter pipes to get that type of sound, and only use 1 muffler.. but, for a tractor, being quiet is much better.. the engines don't rev very high anyway, so a large exhaust is not needed..

Back pressure in exhaust bad, always. No need for it, pipe can be designed for whatever sound you like without a restriction (and note that a particular sound will only occur at a particular flow.)

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #13  
Back pressure in exhaust bad, always. No need for it, pipe can be designed for whatever sound you like without a restriction (and note that a particular sound will only occur at a particular flow.)
I actually have way too much experience to believe that.. over 40 years, actually.. how much back pressure do you think a turbocharger puts on the exhaust of an engine, and it works fine.. also, the tailpipes on a car are quite long, and have a lot of bends usually. and put a sufficient back pressure on the exhaust to make them extremely quiet, yet, pass EPA tests.. you can substitute a restriction for a longer pipe, it can work out to make the same back pressure.. we are talking about TRACTORS here, not top fuel racecars.. those, who really cares about noise, and a free flow exhaust helps with it's efficiency.. still, you can believe what you want, you don't have to agree with anybody.. no ill will intended whatsoever!!..

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #14  
Guess I'm the only one that likes where the exhaust is on my L3400, atleast til too much smoke comes out of the exhaust, sofar that only happened once when the first time I changed engine oil and put to much oil in per instructions, 6 qt, that went way above the dipstick mark, drained some back out and now it's fine been fine just fine. One place I dont want the exhaust pipe and that is sticking up above the engine hood where all the tree limbs can hit it.

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #15  
See my thread for my solution to this issue, only in my case I had limb risers to the top of the roll cage to follow with the exhaust pipe. It's been very sturdy, getting abused by tree limbs quite a bit, about 3" sticks up above the top of the cage. I've thought of cutting it off flush with the top, just not bothered to do it yet.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...3005-exhaust-mods-replacement.html?highlight=

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700
Here is my solution to moving the outlet of the exhaust. I'll have to take the panel off to show you how I mounted it on the existing exhaust pipe but I can tell you that I cut a length of the original pipe off so that it would give me a nearly straight down exit point from which to tap onto with a clamped flexible tubular exhaust. I used 2 clamps. And then I just routed around underneath and kept it away from fittings and other pieces of metal or plastic. I used flexible exhaust mounting hardware and hangers so that the pipe can vibrate on its own and not touch anything else on the tractor. I didn't want anything banging or getting too hot blistering paint or anything like that. I used stainless steel hose clamps and silicone rubber grommets for mounting to the ROPS.

I've had it on here now since about two or three weeks after my initial post so that would be about 3 years now. It's worked very well it's much quieter. The exit exhaust that I cut off, I put that piece at the very top as an exhaust tip. Keeps the rain out.

Attachments

• 16199136039723090759476158792648.jpg
    16199136039723090759476158792648.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 175
  • 20210501_200103.jpg
    20210501_200103.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 170
  • 20210501_200113.jpg
    20210501_200113.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 167
  • 20210501_200131.jpg
    20210501_200131.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 160
  • 20210501_200159.jpg
    20210501_200159.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 164
  • 20210501_200207.jpg
    20210501_200207.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 162
  • 20210501_200225.jpg
    20210501_200225.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
  • 20210501_200233.jpg
    20210501_200233.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 159
  • 20210501_200243.jpg
    20210501_200243.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 154
  • 20210501_200300.jpg
    20210501_200300.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 177
   / Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #17  
Here is my solution to moving the outlet of the exhaust. I'll have to take the panel off to show you how I mounted it on the existing exhaust pipe but I can tell you that I cut a length of the original pipe off so that it would give me a nearly straight down exit point from which to tap onto with a clamped flexible tubular exhaust. I used 2 clamps. And then I just routed around underneath and kept it away from fittings and other pieces of metal or plastic. I used flexible exhaust mounting hardware and hangers so that the pipe can vibrate on its own and not touch anything else on the tractor. I didn't want anything banging or getting too hot blistering paint or anything like that. I used stainless steel hose clamps and silicone rubber grommets for mounting to the ROPS.

I've had it on here now since about two or three weeks after my initial post so that would be about 3 years now. It's worked very well it's much quieter. The exit exhaust that I cut off, I put that piece at the very top as an exhaust tip. Keeps the rain out.
Pks, this is great. thanks for the great photos. what size flex pipe did you use. Because the stock exhaust pipe coming off the muffler is oval and not round, i cannot get the OD measurement to know what size metal flex pipe to buy? I can find 1 inch ID metal flex pipe but not sure if that would be too big.
Also, can you take a picture with the panel off to show how you mounted it on the existing exhaust pipe?

Thanks in advance

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #18  
Pks, this is great. thanks for the great photos. what size flex pipe did you use. Because the stock exhaust pipe coming off the muffler is oval and not round, i cannot get the OD measurement to know what size metal flex pipe to buy? I can find 1 inch ID metal flex pipe but not sure if that would be too big.
Also, can you take a picture with the panel off to show how you mounted it on the existing exhaust pipe?

Thanks in advance
Wrap a piece of string around the pipe, cut or mark it where it overlaps and measure the length, then divide by 3.14 to get the equivalent diameter for a round pipe.

Aaron Z

/ Exhaust pipe modification L3700

Thanks in advance
I cut the original exhaust pipe slightly before it began to bend so that it would be for the most part a straight shot for the new exhaust pipe flexible tubing. I used 2 clamps to ensure that vibration would not rattle the connection loose. I don't know what size pipe it is, you will just have to measure yours and go to your local auto parts store. I went to O'Reilly's they tend to have cheaper stuff at cheaper prices.

The exhaust extension pipe was about a dollar a foot I think. I remember it being inexpensive. I think I put on 15 ft and I purchased an 18-foot chunk. I have seen this same exhaust pipe aluminized, for sale on the internet for $10 a foot. So be wary of where you source this flexible tubing.

Attachments

• 20210711_163401.jpg
    20210711_163401.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • 20210711_163414.jpg
    20210711_163414.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
   / Exhaust pipe modification L3700 #20  
Perfect! Thank you very much. This will be the solution to not breathing diesel exhaust all 8-10 hours of a day while working food plots. I think I am must going to run mine under the tractor so it shoots the exhaust behind the tractor versus out the side where it blows right up into your face. Its crazy nobody sells a mod for this, seems like it would be a common problem.

I am going to try 1.75 inch walker flex muffler pipe with a couple clamps and see how it works.

Thanks again