Existentialism and the New Truck Bug

/ Existentialism and the New Truck Bug #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
I think I have an addiction or deep personality flaw. I realized that every 6 months or so, I get obsessed with buying a new vehicle or restoring and older one. The old Blazer project, new GMC Canyon, new Ford Ranger, new F150 and now I'm looking at a Ram 1500. I literally go through periods o f time where these trucks dominate my free time.

I justify this addiction by stating that my daily driver (2006 CRV) is wearing out (250K on it now) and its uncomfortable to drive. I would like a smaller truck to drive as it could be handy at work and the new rigs get as good or better mileage than my Honda. But is it a need or an obsession?

Well the uncomfortable part is real. I drive a lot. Have done so for a while. But never have had such back, knee and ankle pain as I do now. I'm literally crammed into this little car. My wife even laughed at me this weekend about it. Maybe my mind is rejecting the car and causing this pain? Or I'm using it as an excuse to obsess?

Anybody else have this absolute obsession about trucks, equipment, etc? I don't feel like I'm a very materialistic person but maybe this is the very definition of it?

And if this is a bit deep for a Tuesday morning, how does the group feel abou thr 5th gen Ram 1500's with etorque?

/ Existentialism and the New Truck Bug #2  
I get it. I'm in a similar situation, needing to replace a vehicle. (2008 Accent, 235,000 miles) I can't believe I've spent the amount of time I have in that little car. The number of vehicles I've considered is kind of crazy as is the amount of time and energy I've put into researching them.

Let's see; 2wd F150, 4wd F150, Honda Civic, Mazda 3 fwd & awd, Subaru Impreza, and a few others. The trucks would replace two of my vehicles, the cars would replace one.

At the moment I'm considering a 6 hour round trip to test drive and possibly purchase a 2018 Mazda 3, 6 speed manual, fwd. They are hard to find near me.

Is it your research that steers you away from one and on to another?

Kevin

/ Existentialism and the New Truck Bug
Research and the shiny factor have me bouncing around. I've sat in the Ranger, tested the Canyon and we have a fleet of F150s. I toss up a lot of "what if's". It usually coincides with some repair on the CRV, then I fix it and feel like I need to recoup the $$$. This time around it was a battery. 5 months ago it was tires.

I've way more comfortable in a full size truck. I'm sort of a full size guy. And the Fords and Doges seem to rack up respectable mileage. I only average about 20-22 in the CRV, with mostly highway driving. The trucks add a lot of room, comfort and a bit better mileage depending on options.

/ Existentialism and the New Truck Bug #5  
Research and the shiny factor have me bouncing around. I've sat in the Ranger, tested the Canyon and we have a fleet of F150s. I toss up a lot of "what if's". It usually coincides with some repair on the CRV, then I fix it and feel like I need to recoup the $$$. This time around it was a battery. 5 months ago it was tires.

I've way more comfortable in a full size truck. I'm sort of a full size guy. And the Fords and Doges seem to rack up respectable mileage. I only average about 20-22 in the CRV, with mostly highway driving. The trucks add a lot of room, comfort and a bit better mileage depending on options.

Wow! That's poor mileage for a CRV. I bought my 2016 F150 4x4 Supercab new, so I've been driving it almost 5 years now. Rock solid dependable - all I've ever done is change the oil and rotate the tires. All fuel purchases entered into an Excel spreadsheet, it tells me over the life of the truck I've averaged 20.9 mpg with that 3.5 Ecoboost engine/6 speed automatic combination. Personally, I find the truck super comfortable.

/ Existentialism and the New Truck Bug #6  
I think I have an addiction or deep personality flaw. I realized that every 6 months or so, I get obsessed with buying a new vehicle or restoring and older one. The old Blazer project, new GMC Canyon, new Ford Ranger, new F150 and now I'm looking at a Ram 1500. I literally go through periods o f time where these trucks dominate my free time.

I justify this addiction by stating that my daily driver (2006 CRV) is wearing out (250K on it now) and its uncomfortable to drive. I would like a smaller truck to drive as it could be handy at work and the new rigs get as good or better mileage than my Honda. But is it a need or an obsession?

Well the uncomfortable part is real. I drive a lot. Have done so for a while. But never have had such back, knee and ankle pain as I do now. I'm literally crammed into this little car. My wife even laughed at me this weekend about it. Maybe my mind is rejecting the car and causing this pain? Or I'm using it as an excuse to obsess?

Anybody else have this absolute obsession about trucks, equipment, etc? I don't feel like I'm a very materialistic person but maybe this is the very definition of it?

And if this is a bit deep for a Tuesday morning, how does the group feel abou thr 5th gen Ram 1500's with etorque?

I have the same disease :confused2:

That's about average for that generation CRV. I've tried synthetic oils, different tires, all kinds of things and its pretty steady. 22MPG summer, 19-20 winter. My father had a 2005 and it was identical.

I do like the F150. I had a 2014 F150 4x4 supercab company truck. It was great even with the standard V6. I can't remember the mileage, but I don't think it was too bad.
This is part of my problem, I want one of everything!

/ Existentialism and the New Truck Bug #9  
My temporary cure for said disease happened 6 months ago when I sold my 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad cab and bought a 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn with 97,000 miles on it. After driving the Ram for a couple of months, I concluded that I no longer needed a sedan for travel because the Ram drove/rode as good as my wife's Lexus RX350. Sold the RX350 (with wife's permission) and she inherited my 2014 Honda Pilot, which is better for her current needs. I have been extremely happy with the Ram (first full size truck for me).

/ Existentialism and the New Truck Bug #10  
When I was younger I went through lots of vehicles. I don't now because I'm content with what I have and don't care for the new ones. Maybe these will be the last ones I own....who knows.