Experienced operators pay?

/ Experienced operators pay? #1  

ralanb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cat d-3, Cat 268-B (toasted), Cat 320, more to come.
What do you guys think is a fair price to pay an exp. operator for mulching?

/ Experienced operators pay? #2  
What do you guys think is a fair price to pay an exp. operator for mulching?

all depends, i have 15 plus yrs mulching and i get between 16 and 25 an hour i am looking for a job. if you are interested call me at 281-659-0107

/ Experienced operators pay? #3  
Not being familiar with mulching operations or the affect of a skilled operator on the job; what is the net change in result between a novice, competent, expert and artisan operator?

If a competent operator can regularly produce similar results as an expert operator, why would there be a difference in pay from the client's perspective? There would seem to be some need for the difference in expertise, but I don't know what that would be worth since I don't know how much practical difference it really makes on the job. I need more knowledge before I could answer, and would love to hear some views to educate me.

/ Experienced operators pay?
If is the key word. A competent person or any other person will not have the know how or knowledge that an experienced person has. There is a lot more to it than just getting in and driving. There are operators and drivers. Not to mention the quality of work that goes with expierience.

/ Experienced operators pay? #5  
an operator must stay in the seat with the head on the ground to make money. everytime the head comes off the ground without mulching, there will be no money made for owner. an exp. operator will know how to service the machine, operate the machine, feel vibrations of any sort on the head that seem irregular, so 15 to 25 per hour is fair

/ Experienced operators pay? #6  
There is a lot to mulching and knowing how to attack the vegetation , be it trees, bushes or scrub...it is not as easy as it looks . There is a learning curve and if you are renting a machine you will have to waste a good bit of time learning and still not be as good an operator as mulchman1 with 15 yrs. of experinece.....Sure is a fair price and worth it in my opinion...I had some land mulched last year and watched them ...and even though I have operated track loaders and tractors...it is stll not a mulcher..whole different technique.

/ Experienced operators pay?
I agree with you guys. mulching is a whole other game of its own. I laugh at people that say there's nothing to it. All i gotta say is good luck.

/ Experienced operators pay? #8  
Yep. When we bought ours, I practiced on our land for 2 months. There is a long learning curve. An experienced operator can do a better job is less time. Not to mention not breaking as much stuff.

/ Experienced operators pay? #9  
Yep. When we bought ours, I practiced on our land for 2 months. There is a long learning curve. An experienced operator can do a better job is less time. Not to mention not breaking as much stuff.

mulching for 2 months is a starting point, there is alot too know and it takes commonsense. just knowing where to start mulching a project takes a little time. i like to walk some or all of the property first just to know what i am dealing with. looks from a cab window are very deceiving. it might look like thin brush from the window, but after an hour you are in the thickest of it all. and fences, old tires and peoples junk they discarded years ago makes it no fun when you have to get out of the cab with a hammer and chisel to get the fence un tangled from your head.

paying attention is one of the most important functions of mulching.

/ Experienced operators pay? #10  
Agreed. I've been doing it for about 3 1/2 years now and still learn something on almost every job.