Extended warranty?

/ Extended warranty? #1  

Firefighter Kubota

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 7510
Seem like a no brainer but still wondering if I should extend my warranty....

another year for $600, same coverage as the original...

my B is on ly 2 yrs old with 150 hrs..

Yeah, no brainer...:rolleyes:

/ Extended warranty? #2  
One thing people forget about extended warranties, the companies that offer them do so as a profit making venture, not a community service. This means they come out on the winning end.

The odds are that you won't need the extended warranty for repairs exceeding the cost of the warranty. So the warranty company profits on the deal.

Someone always steps up and says: "Well, (insert name here), got the extended warranty, and it was a good thing he did, because they replaced this and that, and it would have cost him a fortune.

Conversely, you never find a group of guys bagging about how they spent hundreds, sometimes thousands, on extended warranties they never used, leading some to the assumption that it does not happen.

If volunteering to be robbed by the warranty company gives you piece of mind, the option is available. :D

It is however, a crap shoot.

/ Extended warranty? #3  
I quit buying extended warranties years ago and have saved enough money to replace/repair anything I own except maybe a new truck.

I agree, you will hear from those who have come out ahead on some item, but over a lifetime, you will be ahead by not buying them.

The only reason I can see for buying one is if your finances simply will not permit you to cover the cost of repairs in which case you might want to re evaluate your spending priorities IE "wants" v "needs".

/ Extended warranty? #4  
I'm still mad as heck !! 5 yrs. ago when Plasma TV's really got hot we bought a 42 inch at Circut City ( Now bankrupt ) and the salesman convinced the wife and me that Plasma's were expensive to fix and we better buy and extended warranty. So we paid $500.00 more for a 3 yr. extended warranty...Guess what..Never needed it and the TV has been great..so I don't ever buy extended warranties and I agree it is a crap shoot but I think the odds are you will never need it. I think you should go by the condition your tractor is in..

/ Extended warranty?
Sorry, if I mis spoke..this in an extension of the Kubota basic warranty, from Kubota...

/ Extended warranty? #6  
Sorry, if I mis spoke..this in an extension of the Kubota basic warranty, from Kubota...

Still a gamble and the house always wins. I am sure others will disagree. I use to subscribe to Consumer Reports and they advise not to buy them. I am 62 and when I was much younger I almost always bought extended warranties, but only use one. I paid something like $1800 and got a $300 repair paid for it, so I don't do it anymore.

Just my opinion and your results may vary.

/ Extended warranty? #7  
Pick and choose what you buy the extended warranties for. For a tractor that has had a good reputation and has not had any negative mention of breakdown, PLUS the fact that you've probably babied it ;). 150 hours in 2 years? so that $600 to cover an average of 75 hours? Chances of something over $600 breaking in that time period is slim, but as others have said, it's a crap shoot...

I would not, but that's just another man's opinion...

/ Extended warranty? #8  
Those consumer electronic extended warranty offers are a pain. Just having to listen to the pitch makes you realize they are a money making play. Picked up a couple of those tiny button batteries and the guy tried to sell me on an offer of some sort. Come on they are batteries!! They wouldn't offer it unless it made them money as was suggested. The odds are in their favour.

/ Extended warranty? #9  
Keep the 600 dollars aside for any small repairs you might need in the next year.