Extra long pole saw

/ Extra long pole saw #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
I posted this topic on the Chain saw site, but didn't get any interest.

I had 10-15 trees get closer to our house : ) They looked small when I decided not to to clear that far back, had really grown and leaned towards the house. These are oak, cherry and beach that were 50+ feet tall. Two were 24 inch dia at the base. I didn't feel comfortable to just cut them down for fear of them hitting the house.

The forest is so dense, I knew I would have trouble with them getting snagged in other trees as well. So I set out the de-limb them first and then cable them so I could control the fall.

"If I just had a pole saw that could reach 30 feet", yea right! Some how I did it. The basics; Attach a chain saw to a 30+ foot pole. use a block a tackle to raise the saw/pole.

There were several iterations but the working combo was a Harbor freight 14 inch electric chain saw. Wood blocks so a pole could be attached. The pole is a combination of 1-1/4 fiberglass poles and chain link fencing top rails, also about 1-1/4 inch. Each pole section has a strong connector with removable pins.

Steps.

1 Google "big Shot sling shot". This allows you to shoot the rope accurately high in the tree.
Jameson BIGSHOT SLING SHOT THROWLINE LAUNCHER ARBORIST TWO 4' POLES ARBORIST - - Amazon.com
2 Pull up your block and tackle and tie it off at the base of the tree
3 attach at the chain saw and raise it up cutting lower branches on the way up.
4 because you can't swing the long pole, you might have to re-set the block and tackle for better angles.
5 if your a bit crazy, you can actually cut the last branch that you block and tackle is attached too. (just don't cut all the way!!) then lower the saw/pole. Then use the same rope to pull the top out.

The limitations are; It really takes two people, one to raise and lower the saw by block and tackle. My wife was in charge of that. The pole can mostly be used to pull or push the saw. For example as you go up the tree de-limbing, to get branches on the back side, you have to walk the pole 90 dergees and push the saw to the next branch. The saw can get pinched if the saw/pole is to vertical. I mounted the pole such that the saw bar was 25 degrees angling down. You can find yourself needing to re-set the block and tackle for a better reach. But with the Big Shot that is no big deal.

Once you are done removing most if not all the branches, shot one more rope high in the tree for getting a cable attached. For a quick attachment; use cable clamps to make a perminant loop inthe cable, then use a removable chain link to make the lasso. Run it to a snatch block for safe dropping

This is not a fast way to drop tricky trees, but it sure gets them down safely.

Attachments

• braches gone.jpg
    braches gone.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 114
  • ele saw.jpg
    ele saw.jpg
    841.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Pole saw long view.jpg
    Pole saw long view.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 103
   / Extra long pole saw #2  
That's just too darn complicated for me. Around here I just fell the entire tree. The only place where limbs/trees are a potential problem - along the driveway. They are small pines and lean into the driveway due to snow load. Chainsaw is the easy solution to this problem.

/ Extra long pole saw
oosik,

I too just cut trees with a chain saw, but this was different with big trees next to the house.

/ Extra long pole saw #4  
This works for me. Wear heavy gloves.
Just toss sand bag over limb, pull ropes back and forth. If you stop before cut...it can stick...so once started don't stop!
Otherwise I get in FEL bucket with electric pole saw, wife lifts me up.
If I had a lot to do, I'd rent a bucket truck for the day.2020_11_03_14.14.13.jpg

/ Extra long pole saw #5  
AH, ha - close to the house. I missed that part in your post. Well - I've got many pines ( 80' to 115' tall ) close to the house. Close enough if they ever blew over - the tops could hit the roof of the house. So far I've been fortunate - none of the big limbs have landed on the house. These ancient Ponderosa pines are up to 40" in diameter on the butt.

I had an arborist out two years ago and check the really close ones. Still very healthy - not to worry for another 30 to 40 years. I should be so lucky to be around and have this to worry about.

Twenty five years ago I tried climbing one with a chain saw tied to my belt. I was going to cut it off at the 75 foot level. That way - it couldn't hit the house if it fell. All that happened - I got up about 20 feet, the weight of the chainsaw pulled my pants down around my ankles, fortunately the wife never thought to take any pictures.

/ Extra long pole saw #7  
Wow! What a creative solution!

I'm glad that you got your problem trees solved, and nobody got hurt.

All the best,

Peter