F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100?

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100? #11  
There are additives by PowerService that can mitigate algae. I add it to my fuel tanks once a year, even up in the northeast...

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100?
Not familiar with that. Before I retired from my day job at a local Freightliner dealer, SOP for them was dosing their bulk diesel tanks (ULSD underground) with either the CAT additive or the Bio-Kleen and in the winter they used Power Service winter additive in all their diesel trucks.

The Startron blurb don't say anything about a biocide in it and... if it had a biocide in it, there would be a USDA label attached to the bottle with cautionary statements included.

Different companies make all kinds of claims but if the labelling don't specifically say what it contains, then it don't.

Having been down that road, I prefer to err on the side of caution.
I chose the Startron Enzyme treatment because I had read that:

1. Biocides kill the algae, but don't break the algae down. As a result, it leaves behind the exoskeletons which cause problems, as you noted.
  2. The enzymes break down the algae at the molecular level, thus both killing the algae and disintegrating what's left of them.
  3. The theory, as I understand it, is that the enzymatic method of control will break down the algae to a level where it no longer plugs the filters, pickup screens, pumps, etc. but the left-over organic materials are small enough to be simply run through the fuel system and combusted in the engine without incident.

That's why I chose the Startron. I had what I believe is the beginning of an algae growth in the fuel tank of my diesel generator. Based on my experience, I believe that Startron took care of it. I have NOT swapped out the fuel. The fuel appears clear now. Changing the fuel filters and checking out the contents of the filters confirms that any algae has been broken down sufficiently to allow for normal system operation. I've been running the generator without any problems.

Thanks,

Rob :)

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100?
Guys, I have no knowledge of this algae problem in diesel. Is this only a problem with biodiesel, or does it happen with all diesel fuel?
It happens with all diesel fuels.

-Rob :)

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100? #14  
It happens with all diesel fuels.

-Rob :)
Thanks. I move diesel around in 5-gallon cans and don't have any that's sitting in a large tank for any amount of time. I guess that's why I've been able to avoid this problem. I do use stabilizer over the winter or when not in use for several months, but not because of algae. Just what I needed -- something else to worry about.

Appreciate the explanation. Thanks.

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100? #15  
I respect your opinion and you may be right. That said, my experience over the last 12 years running 100% biodiesel hasn't included any algae incidents. I did need to slowly ramp up the Biodiesel/Regular Diesel percentage over several weeks (e.g., B5, B10, B20, B40... B100) and swap out fuel filters along the way, but I encountered zero problems. In fact, the cleaning capabilities left the fuel system pristinely clean, the increased lubricity made the engines run very smoothly (qualitative assessment) and the exhaust smelled like Chinese stir-fry. :)

Sincerely,

Rob :)
ummm Chinese stir-fry.

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100? #16  
Never, ever had an algae problem. I don’t know if it’s because I use them so much and keep adding new fuel, or just good clean living? :)
I do use power service white bottle sometimes in the winter.
Im convinced it’s where you buy fuel and how long your diesel powered units sit.
An old timer told me many many years ago if it needs to sit a long time, to FILL the tank.

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100? #17  
An old timer told me many many years ago if it needs to sit a long time, to FILL the tank.
Good advice. The less space between the fuel and the open to the air tank surface means less condensation which equals less water which promotes microbial growth. Keep my fuel tanks topped off all the time when sitting unused.

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100? #18  
I also fill my small tanks, weed wackers, chain saws, concrete saw, pump, etc.
Most guys empty them. Not me.
Fill the tanks and never had a problem.

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100? #19  
I also fill my small tanks, weed wackers, chain saws, concrete saw, pump, etc.
Most guys empty them. Not me.
Fill the tanks and never had a problem.
I do run my chainsaws dry when not being used. Other than that, same deal as you. I do use Stihl pre packaged pre mix which has some sort of stabilizer in it.