F3990 Radiator Fan Replacement?

/ F3990 Radiator Fan Replacement? #1  

cold1313

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M4D-071 Kubota F3990
Somehow a stick managed to shove itself up into the engine bay while I was turning. It made a God awful sound and I shut down the machine right away. Several fan blades broke off.

I will check tomorrow, but from what I can see - the stick didn't stab the radiator, it got close enough to the fan to bend and break a majority of the blades.

Since there is little to no room in there, I'm wondering:
1) How do I replace the fan - and what's required to do so? I.e. do I have to remove the radiator to do this?
2) Last I knew, the shop manuals weren't available online, just the owner's manual. Has this changed?

Frustrated this happened but it could have been worse.

Hopefully the water pump didn't get damaged by the fan getting pushed around.

Any other thoughts?

/ F3990 Radiator Fan Replacement? #2  
I have an old Mitsubishi tractor. The only way I've found to remove the fan is to remove the radiator. Clearances are pretty tight.

/ F3990 Radiator Fan Replacement? #3  
I just finished removing my radiator from my Kubota M 6800. (It sprung a leak). My fan is chewed up also from a previous stick. I’m going to probably replace it and the water pump now that it’s all disassembled. I didn’t try to remove the fan without taking off the radiator, but it would be tight getting a wrench in there. But it’s possible I guess, but I doubt it.
Water pumps are cheap online, but my radiator is almost $1,000. Hope yours is good.

I expect the fan is held on with 4 bolts, if you can get to them. IMG_1460.JPG

/ F3990 Radiator Fan Replacement?
It looks like the radiator on the F Series will pull out very nicely. Should have good access to the fan. It looks like I was lucky and that the stick did not strike the water pump, just the blades of the fan.

I have a new fan on order, I'll toss that on and make sure the water pump spins fine when running. It looks pretty stout so I'm not worried about it at the moment.

Still wish there was a way to get a pdf of the Work Shop Manuals.

/ F3990 Radiator Fan Replacement? #6  
What a nightmare trying to get this radiator out. I gave up. I can't seem to get clearance to pull it out.

Rear mount engines....grrr

For anyone having to do this, you have to remove the fan shroud to pull the radiator.

/ F3990 Radiator Fan Replacement? #9  
Yep. Just did this. It’s really not that hard, easier than I expected. Removed the battery, the fan shroud (which was bent), and the radiator ( on my tractor, these were connected as a unit). then fan, and water pump. Took about an hour to replace all this. The shroud and radiator come out as an assembly.

Yep. Just did this. It’s really not that hard, easier than I expected. Removed the battery, the fan shroud (which was bent), and the radiator ( on my tractor, these were connected as a unit). then fan, and water pump. Took about an hour to replace all this. The shroud and radiator come out as an assembly.

Yours sounds much easier than the F Series! It was a long job. Poor design to remove the shroud. Oh well, hopefully not another stick. I might fab a guard this winter.