Fair Price

/ Fair Price #22  
Well, I'm new to tractors. I feel like I know what the price should be, but I wanted to see if those more experienced felt differently.

While it's easy for me to say it's too expensive, there are only a handful of used tractors in my area, so supply and demand take over at some point.
I understand. What I suggest you do is check to see what these tractors have sold for used online and at auction with similar hours, condition and attachments and then make your determination.

You could also offer what you think it is worth like Citydude suggested.

/ Fair Price #25  
All,

Do you think this is a fair price for this tractor? I contacted the seller, and he is still using the machine, so it actually has 500 hours on it now. He also mentioned that it is a 2014 model.

It seems like it's a bit overpriced to me, but I have very little to compare it to, and there isn't much available locally right now.

Thanks for the help.
The seller of any Mahindra is delighted to be unloading it and getting a better brand

/ Fair Price #27  
Go back and read my message #17 and then tell us if you followed up with the tractor - actually met the guy and drove it around.

I get the impression that Mahindras are more variable than some other makes. It may be a good one.... or otherwise. Worth a look. I think the price is OK. Besides, what do you care? In a year it will either be the best deal you ever made or a disaster... and $3K won't matter either way.
rScotty

/ Fair Price #28  
Personally, I'd offer him 12k and stop at 14k, but be polite about it. This is what it's worth to me, if you're interested, great. If not, that's ok too. I'm not interested in what's fair for him, I'm worried about what is a good deal for me. If he doesn't bite, that's ok, don't be offended or upset. Let him know the offer stands if he happens to change his mind, and walk away. He's selling the tractor for a reason, either he has no use for it or he needs the money. If it's the latter, expect a call a week later.

Unless you need the machine for business purposes and make your living with it. Then it's a ROI deal, how long will it take to start earning you money. Can you line up and do 10x 2k jobs in a year? Can you stand a year in the hole before it starts making you money?

I've sold things where I have a number in mind, and that number has changed over time. And I've sold things that the first guy with cash, regardless of the offer, gets it. Sometimes it's impossible to know what the seller is thinking. Looking at the equipment in the pictures, it looks like an estate sale. Which means it may not be the original owner. That could go both ways as well, either he doesn't know what he has and will let it go for nothing, or he thinks everything is coated in gold and demands top dollar for everything.

It's so easy to get turned around trying to get in the head of the seller. But these days, cash deals above 10k are not as common around these parts. Folks either don't have money, or if they do they're holding onto it. If you're looking to spend cash, you have an advantage in the market.

/ Fair Price #29  
hornett, everything is overpriced in this industry right now. This is why I have told everyone to just hold their wallet and see what happens next year.
Actually, I missed the part about the backhoe. If it's immaculate and taken care of, it's probably not too far off.