Fake Crops?

/ Fake Crops? #21  
inorganic

ĭn″ôr-găn′ĭk

adjective​

1. Involving neither organic life nor the products of organic life.
  2. Not composed of organic matter.
  3. Of or relating to compounds not containing hydrocarbon groups or derivatives.
I would say, no. All crops are organic.
haha, don't quit your day job.

/ Fake Crops? #22  
Has anyone ever eaten inorganic crops?
Not intentionally. Yet I have drank my share of gasoline from siphon hoses, and must have eaten about a ton of dirt and gravel. :D
(I guess that you could argue that the gas came from plants at one time....)

/ Fake Crops? #24  
I remember what true Sweet Corn use to taste like. We would buy a fresh bushel from the Eastern Shore in Maryland back in the 70's, when ever we traveled to Ocean City, for a later Crab Feast. It was a summer treat. I don't think anyone can buy Sweet Corn "on the cob," anymore. You can get it in a can, labeled Sweet Corn, but me thinks this has been processed in some way to mimic Sweet Corn. I have tried in vain to buy many a vendors', organic claimed "Sweet Corn." But it isn't sweet corn. Its some sort of cross pollinated feed corn, or worse, cross pollinated with corn GMO'ed for ethanol production, which is basically not eatable, and like biting into a raw potato on a stick.

/ Fake Crops? #26  
I remember what true Sweet Corn use to taste like. We would buy a fresh bushel from the Eastern Shore in Maryland back in the 70's, when ever we traveled to Ocean City, for a later Crab Feast. It was a summer treat. I don't think anyone can buy Sweet Corn "on the cob," anymore. You can get it in a can, labeled Sweet Corn, but me thinks this has been processed in some way to mimic Sweet Corn. I have tried in vain to buy many a vendors', organic claimed "Sweet Corn." But it isn't sweet corn. Its some sort of cross pollinated feed corn, or worse, cross pollinated with corn GMO'ed for ethanol production, which is basically not eatable, and like biting into a raw potato on a stick.
I have sweet corn every year, from my garden or others. 50 years ago the sugar would begin turning to starch as soon as it was picked; the saying was that if you wanted it fresh, put the water on to boil, then go out to pick it. (As a kid that was often how I started my lunch... start the water, then go out and pick 2 ears of corn, 2 cucumbers and a tomato.)

Now certain strains have been hybridized to get sweeter after picking, so that it's better from the grocery store. Or you can grow your own, or visit a farmer's market.

/ Fake Crops? #27  
I have sweet corn every year, from my garden or others. 50 years ago the sugar would begin turning to starch as soon as it was picked; the saying was that if you wanted it fresh, put the water on to boil, then go out to pick it. (As a kid that was often how I started my lunch... start the water, then go out and pick 2 ears of corn, 2 cucumbers and a tomato.)

Now certain strains have been hybridized to get sweeter after picking, so that it's better from the grocery store. Or you can grow your own, or visit a farmer's market.
We did that for years; either raised our own or bought it fresh picked right out of the field, took it home, cleaned and blanched it and put in in the freezer. Still hard to beat, although Green Giant makes a pretty good product. My concern any more, is the GMO products, and corn is one that had been modified.

/ Fake Crops? #28  
We did that for years; either raised our own or bought it fresh picked right out of the field, took it home, cleaned and blanched it and put in in the freezer. Still hard to beat, although Green Giant makes a pretty good product. My concern any more, is the GMO products, and corn is one that had been modified.
I agree. Unfortunately my first planting of corn fizzled for some reason this year, and I may have replanted too late for it to be anything more than chicken feed. I don't eat a lot of corn in winter anyways, but had hoped to have some in the freezer.