Dealer Family Owned Dealer Gone...

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone...
ChrisJD4320 said:
Hard- Was that store Stonehams by any chance?

Yes it was

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #12  
I thought it sounded like Stonehams. I am disappointed that JD closed them down. I would have bought at Smiths Implements if I had known this was going to happen. Stonehams was by far my closest dealer. At any rate I won't be going to Landmark for my service. It's Smiths for me.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #13  
Deere isn't the only one doing this. Agco pulled the Hesston / Massey dealership from my JD dealer who'd been selling Hesston for 15 years. He did about 1/2 million in Hesston equipment yearly, and was upping his Massey sales to about 1/4 million (after 3 years). Now the closest Hesston or Massey dealer is over 180 miles away - makes it really easy to get parts or service.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #14  
Hard said:
Yes it was

Sorry to hear that. I bought from Stoneham's even though they are a good distance from me (I'm in New Oxford on the east side of Gettysburg). I went to them after my local family-owned Deere dealership was sold. It used to be "W.L. Sterner" but they sold out to Finch's about this time last year. The people at ANY Finch location seem to be worth about nothing when it comes to customer service. Even though their Hanover store is 10 minutes from my house I won't buy from them.

You may want to try Clugston's. They are just off Route 81 in Chambersburg, PA. They seem to want to take care of their customers (but time will tell!!)

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone...
sklunk said:
Sorry to hear that. I bought from Stoneham's even though they are a good distance from me (I'm in New Oxford on the east side of Gettysburg). I went to them after my local family-owned Deere dealership was sold. It used to be "W.L. Sterner" but they sold out to Finch's about this time last year. The people at ANY Finch location seem to be worth about nothing when it comes to customer service. Even though their Hanover store is 10 minutes from my house I won't buy from them.

You may want to try Clugston's. They are just off Route 81 in Chambersburg, PA. They seem to want to take care of their customers (but time will tell!!)

I have been to Sterner's/Finch's many times. Now they have the same, ridiculous, high prices that Finch's in Westminster has. The Finch's in Westminster is the closest dealer to me but impossible to deal with unless you want to pay list price or very, very close to it. They cater to golf courses and big farmers mostly. I bought my 2320 from Stonehams and saved $2000 over Finch's quote. Yes, I did pay sales tax. The very same 2320 I tried to buy at Finch's last summer is still sitting in front of their building.

I was told by the person who bought the Stonehams store that Landmark Equipment has taken over Clugston's. I don't know if they retained the Clugston name or switched to the Landmark name. Landmark is a large dealer out of Hagerstown, MD. It will be difficult not to do business with the large, mega dealer, there just won't be any other choices unless you want to try your luck with a off brand tractor. It seems that the smaller, family owned JD dealer is doomed.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #16  
I'm not sure about Clugston's. I know they still have the Clugston name at all of their locations.

There is 1 other small family-owned dealership near me. I use them alot now but for you it probably wouldn't be worth the drive. They are O.C. Rice in Biglerville, PA. Great people and great service, but I'm afraid it's only a matter of time until they are forced under another Megadealer too .....

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #17  
In our case the merger's have meant much lower prices through volume...different dealer groups practice different pricing procedures. But rest assure mergers will continue as it is a trend JD is really pushing it.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #19  
rumor has it the local Deere dealer here lost their franchise also.I guess its more of the Walmart philosophy.

/ Family Owned Dealer Gone... #20  
Update... I was at Clugstons today and the staff was wearing shirts that said Landmark-Carlisle, Chambersburg, Hagerstown. Their price on an MX6 was straight off the computer. He would give little or no money off the list price. This is one of the many problems with these dealer consolidations. We as consumers lose our bargaining power. They know a person does not want to drive 100 miles or more to buy a piece of equipment By default, we as consumers, are stuck between a rock and a hard place.