Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders

/ Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders #11  
Post pounder is the way to go. My local soil conservation office has a trailerable unit for rent. With the layout marked and a helper, I’ve done 200 posts a day.

Attachments

• 1B2820B1-078B-4B98-9402-73FB452C7A59.jpeg
    1B2820B1-078B-4B98-9402-73FB452C7A59.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 119
   / Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders #12  
In extremely stoney rocky ground you will need to point your fence post, it doesn't need a long point but without it they will just splinter and break.

/ Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders #13  
it sure is nice to take a noon break after dirving 50 posts.
you can drive some really large posts if you drill a hole first for the corners.

/ Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders #14  
The OP said he has sandy or gravally ground so a post rammer should be enough.
If he has a thick iron pan or stoney sub soil some post rammer have a rock drill option for a pilot hole to avoid breaking posts.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders #15  
I made my own hydraulic hole driller from a scrap hydraulic motor. Mounted it to a cage that's welded on to a JD QA loader arm plate. Loader curl hydraulic hose connect. Uses conventional 3pt augers. Mounted on 1 loader arm, I can see the designated hole target, my neck is just fine, gimbaled so hole is vertical on a side hill. Has reverse in case it hits something It can't pop out. Turns about 60 rpm with my flow rate. Light weight, easy to hook up, and can reach under a wire fence when replacing a broken post.
A trully cheap date.

/ Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders #16  
I made my own hydraulic hole driller from a scrap hydraulic motor. Mounted it to a cage that's welded on to a JD QA loader arm plate. Loader curl hydraulic hose connect. Uses conventional 3pt augers. Mounted on 1 loader arm, I can see the designated hole target, my neck is just fine, gimbaled so hole is vertical on a side hill. Has reverse in case it hits something It can't pop out. Turns about 60 rpm with my flow rate. Light weight, easy to hook up, and can reach under a wire fence when replacing a broken post.
A trully cheap date.
Plus I have downforce

/ Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders
The idea of mounting my auger to the FEL and driving the PTO shaft with a hydraulic motor had occurred to me. I was looking at a hydraulic head unit at a rental place and thought the motor on the PTO idea might not have enough torque. Definitely something to consider then, thanks!

/ Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders #18  
8" is too big for loader to force into ground most likely. I've used loader to put 4" treated posts in and tried once to use it on RR ties. Not at all with the ties. It made no difference after ruining a chainsaw blade and bar putting a point on. Still looking for name of manufacturer of factory supplied by John Deere 3 lever accessory hydraulic control set. I'll put some pictures here and someone may know. Or replace the old with a new 3 lever spool control. Or put head under pillow and go back to sleep. Monday seems to be hanging in tough this week.

/ Farm fencing - augers vs post pounders #19  
The Woprksaver post pounder I have will actually drive a railroad tie in. I tried it for kicks and grins and my wife put a bird feeder on top of it. I still have my 3PH mount auger and drive in the barn if anyone wants it, cheap I might add.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D