Farm UTV/RTV Purchase

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #1  

AGreenFarmer

Tractor
Branson 5520CH
Perhaps some of you very wise farmers out there can direct me to determining what UTV/RTV to purchase for my new farm. It will need to have 4 seats (Family) and a lift bed. Kubota is an interesting one. Any help would be appreciated. A couple of things. Farm is 22 acres of pasture, few trees in North Texas. Plan to have cattle, orchard, vegetable and berry farm.

Last edited:
   / Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #2  
The delineation line today is speed. The Polaris/can-am/Yamaha use belt driven chassis. The Kubota uses HST transmissions.

The Kubota can do more work, but is painfully slow. Any hills you have basically neuter's the machine. The others can go much faster and are more nimble, but may suffer in pure work type activities.

Honestly, the belt driven machines have so much power, they really don't suffer in the work realm anymore. They are not a purpose built machine like the Kubota.

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #4  
I've been pretty happy with my 2018 Polaris Ranger XP 1000 EPS in Sunset Red. Lots of cubicles and places to put tools and equipment, five gallon bucket fits under passenger seat.

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #5  
I have a full size ranger 570, it has been great for us. They do make a larger crew version which seats 6 (4 comfortably) and does have a lift bed. My 570 does about 53mph, plenty for me, but they do make a 1000cc crew model, which is more expensive if you need a more capable unit. The 570 is great bang for the buck, no regrets.

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #6  
I've had both a Polaris Ranger and a Honda Pioneer 1000-5. Both were nice machines but a year ago and swapped for a Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT and I love it. Not as fast or powerful as the Honda or Polaris but it's built like a tank and just suits my needs better. Can fit up to 6 people but not as long as a bus like the ranger/defender crews are. All have the pros and cons. You just need to do your research and see what fits your needs the most.

Also look at what type of accessories you'll want. Some models have tons of options where others are more limited.

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #7  
I have owned 2 kubota RTV,s 2006 RTV900 and a 2021 RTV1100c both have been working machines if you are not into speed. As far as hills go we live in a hilly area your speed on hills will go from 25 mph down to 15 mph.I love the diesel engine/hst tranny its a real work horse.

Attachments

• tempImagemvRb2x.jpg
    tempImagemvRb2x.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 312
  • tempImageOXFIMT.jpg
    tempImageOXFIMT.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,007

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #8  
I bought an Hisun E1 electric UTV. There are other brands just as good or possibly even better. I love the electric UTV over a gas rig because you just hop in it and go, whenever. No starting issues, no warm-up, little or no maintenance, highly reliable, lots of torque, 2 or 4wd, winch, good ground clearance, adequate cargo capacity. Even my wife will drive it. (she wouldn't touch a gas powered UTV) No drawbacks really. I plug it in at night once every few days to recharge (it usually doesn't need plugged in yet). Never have ran out of battery. I use it for several things that I used to use my tractor (drag harrowing, pesticide spraying). It is the most frequently used vehicle on my place, by far, including our automobiles. If I was using it to go hunting or exploring out in the woods I would probably prefer a gas powered rig for better range and higher top speed. But around the farm, I would consider a gas powered rig to be substantially inferior. It is sort of like a golf cart on a heavy dose of steroids.:)

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #9  
Polaris Ranger Crew. I worked at a kubota new holland big regional dealership. Been in business since 1944. Also had Polaris and Kawasaki. Worked on others. If someone could run fast enough to give me a Kubota I would sell it and buy a Polaris. Belt drive system is tough. Pull a full size 16' trailer. I have a new Honda that has only seen a dirt road but its not going anymore. I replaced engines on Polaris because they were rolled over and not primed with oil when started up. But if you keep out of deep water and dont flip them, will last and last. Kubota is fine until you want to drive a mile or two. Really they are over complicated. Polaris will do the same thing a Kubota does, good after market support, and is not complicated. My dad's pulls big trailers, welding machine, pull a truck out, whatever. 15 years and same belt. But, no mud playing and no deep water. Sure he gets stuck but no playing in it. He's on over 100 acres, four chicken houses, run 100 head cattle.

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #10  
I just got a Polaris 570 full size a few weeks ago. I like it a lot. I couldn't justify the expense of the XP1000. I find that the 570 has plenty of power and pep. Mine is not a crew though.