Farmall A engine confusion.

/ Farmall A engine confusion. #1  

45FarmallA

Tractor
Farmall Model A
I have this Farmall A, and its a 45...from the bell housing to the drawbar. The engine is a 54, odd. At first I thought it was just a super a engine on it or somewhat. But the more I looked at it, the less confidence I had it that answer. First off, it has an IHC dipstick the petcock threads have been plugged. And the oil pressure gauge is against the block not facing the operator. Theres a weird plate on the block below the mag. And where the block meets the bell housing is a different shape. And lastly the engine serial number prefix is IMAM not FAA. What is this engine? Clearly not for an A...is it?
0908211000-01.jpg
0919210917-01.jpg
0919210916-00.jpg

/ Farmall A engine confusion. #3  
Might be an engine off a power unit. Usually an I would be for "Industrial". Also, I don't think they started using a dipstick on the C-113 engines until after 1951.

Last edited:
   / Farmall A engine confusion. #4  
Looks like a U-123 power unit. I have one on my Farmall A, installed it myself. It came off a 55-T baler.

/ Farmall A engine confusion.
Looks like a U-123 power unit. I have one on my Farmall A, installed it myself. It came off a 55-T baler.
How would I tell that its a U-123?

/ Farmall A engine confusion. #6  
Run all of the numbers on the block on Google, and see what comes up. On mine, the identifying tag was on the bell housing for the belt pulley unit that was attached to the engine. Mine came off a 55-T square baler.

/ Farmall A engine confusion. #8