Farmall/International gurus

/ Farmall/International gurus #1  

Patches

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 3054xs TLB
Posted this in the owning/operating forum but should have posted here. A friend has an International 2424 low boy and something has gone wrong in the distributor, in that the shaft no longer rotates when the engine is cranked. There isn't much room between the distributor and the hydraulic pump, so not sure if the distributor can be removed without removing the hydraulic pump. I'm hoping someone here has been into the engine and can give me dope on how to remove the distributor and what might be amiss

/ Farmall/International gurus #2  
A picture would be nice, but haven't seen to many that you would have to remove the hyd. pump, to pull the distributor. I had a 2424, 20 years ago for a short period of time, but can't recall just how close things were. But going from this diagram: Schematic, Manuals, Specifications and Diagrams for Battery ignition unit | Case IH | MyCNHi US Store Looks like removing a couple of bolts, holding the base clips in, it should pull out.

There should be a small roll pin holding the drive gear on the shaft. If it has not sheared, than the next weakest link would be the distributor drive shaft,#8 in the exploded view. Running the part number through Google, and as many hits as I got, that may very well be the culprit. I got 4,920 hits, so apparently this has been a problem child.

Being there are teeth on the drive shaft, it will have to be timed. Use the basic #1 on compression stoke, and get it to TDC. I'm assuming the TDC mark is on the crankshaft pulley. If it is the driveshaft, align the tang end, and insert. Normally,#1 on the cap is top right. You can make a temporary mark on the base, where #1 hole is on the cap. Insert distributor, and with cap off, set rotor button pointing at that temporary mark. That should be close enough to start. Should be able to dial in the rest of the timing using a timing light. If he has a service manual, it should give the timing specs. If he doesn't, might be an idee to get one, or, you may find it doing a search, for timing the C-146 engine.

/ Farmall/International gurus
A picture would be nice, but haven't seen to many that you would have to remove the hyd. pump, to pull the distributor. I had a 2424, 20 years ago for a short period of time, but can't recall just how close things were. But going from this diagram: Schematic, Manuals, Specifications and Diagrams for Battery ignition unit | Case IH | MyCNHi US Store Looks like removing a couple of bolts, holding the base clips in, it should pull out.

There should be a small roll pin holding the drive gear on the shaft. If it has not sheared, than the next weakest link would be the distributor drive shaft,#8 in the exploded view. Running the part number through Google, and as many hits as I got, that may very well be the culprit. I got 4,920 hits, so apparently this has been a problem child.

Being there are teeth on the drive shaft, it will have to be timed. Use the basic #1 on compression stoke, and get it to TDC. I'm assuming the TDC mark is on the crankshaft pulley. If it is the driveshaft, align the tang end, and insert. Normally,#1 on the cap is top right. You can make a temporary mark on the base, where #1 hole is on the cap. Insert distributor, and with cap off, set rotor button pointing at that temporary mark. That should be close enough to start. Should be able to dial in the rest of the timing using a timing light. If he has a service manual, it should give the timing specs. If he doesn't, might be an idee to get one, or, you may find it doing a search, for timing the C-146 engine.
Many thanks DJ54; exactly what I was looking for. Friend has a stable of tractors but has a specific use for this one, and it ran really well, up until it didn't

/ Farmall/International gurus #4  
No problem, that's what we're all here for. I hope that it is just as simple as this. Let us know.

/ Farmall/International gurus
Don't know when we/he gets to it, but will certainly let you know the outcome. Thanks again