Farmstead planning

/ Farmstead planning
Really? You guys actually plan all this stuff? I must not be old enough yet 😂
Yes. I have a master plan that shows where all the buildings go, the driveway, orchard, garden, etc. Everything I can think of. I also made a model of the house and put it out in the yard to check for sun orientation to be sure the overhangs were enough and sun angles were what I wanted.

But that doesn't mean I don't change things as I go along.

/ Farmstead planning #12  
On the subject of fire safes, most aren't. Fire safe that is. They are rated for some temperature exposure for thirty minutes. So if you think that the fire department will have your fire out in thirty minutes, great! If not...it would be good to have a plan "B", e.g. a larger fire closet for the fire safe, keeping the important items elsewhere, but as Greenville showed, even banks burn down in big fires. Don't forget fire protection for computer backups...We had friends who had detailed diaries of ranch and work carefully stored in a fire safe that went up in smoke when the house burned. His kids are mourning the diaries more than the house and possessions.

Our home insurer would give us an insurance rate break, if we had sprinklers in the house. Great idea, but hard to execute after the fact in exposed beam ceilings.

Planning a home with a fire resistant exterior always helps. The largest forest fire in the US was on the Wisconsin Minnesota border, so this isn't just "western" advice.

I love all the planning tips!

All the best,

Peter

/ Farmstead planning #13  
We just upgraded from what the original homesteader had. Modern house where his old homestead house was. New outbuildings to replace his old ones.

I often wonder how long it took him to "etch out" the basement. 24 x 50 feet. Dug four feet into SOLID basaltic lava bedrock. Location was perfect. On a bluff overlooking my lake.

Upgraded the spring. It was and still is the only water source for the house.

We DID have to instal a septic system. The old outhouse just wouldn't cut it.

I think the old homesteader would be pleased. Everything in the same locations - just modern.

/ Farmstead planning #14  
I made the mistake of selling our outhouse. Bad move, when a second bathroom is urgently needed.

/ Farmstead planning #15  
Storage. I don't have enough space for what I have, and some of the stuff that I have is being destroyed by sitting outdoors.
Agree with all of this post, but would like to add storage expansion

Living in my current place I've learned that initial storage capacity needs to be a consideration (didn't realize it when I bought the place) .....but being able to further expand the storage options can also be a smart move (if not a necessity).

At this point if/when I build a place I'm very tempted to start with an enclosed pole/post/steel-frame building ~120' wide and then subdivide the interior into workshop side, unloading bay down the middle and parking/storage on the other side...... then if I need more space have it sitting in a place where I could lengthen (to a degree) the building or add a lean-to on one or both sides.

(other thing with my current place is that most of the structures are essentially penned in by other structures, utilities, fences or trees)

/ Farmstead planning #16  
Agree with all of this post, but would like to add storage expansion

Living in my current place I've learned that initial storage capacity needs to be a consideration (didn't realize it when I bought the place) .....but being able to further expand the storage options can also be a smart move (if not a necessity).

At this point if/when I build a place I'm very tempted to start with an enclosed pole/post/steel-frame building ~120' wide and then subdivide the interior into workshop side, unloading bay down the middle and parking/storage on the other side...... then if I need more space have it sitting in a place where I could lengthen (to a degree) the building or add a lean-to on one or both sides.

(other thing with my current place is that most of the structures are essentially penned in by other structures, utilities, fences or trees)
Storage is important. But what I have learned, and am reminded of every day, is that your "stuff" will expand to fill the available storage. We have a barn with three storage rooms and a loft, and a garden shed, a tractor shed, a shop, a root cellar (now full of other stuff), a lean-to behind the barn (twice expanded), closets, and more - and "stuff" fills it all. So, there is some wisdom in limiting storage to a reasonable and finite amount.

And the corollary to this is that your kids stuff will also expand to fill your available storage capabilities.

/ Farmstead planning #17  
Storage is important. But what I have learned, and am reminded of every day, is that your "stuff" will expand to fill the available storage. We have a barn with three storage rooms and a loft, and a garden shed, a tractor shed, a shop, a root cellar (now full of other stuff), a lean-to behind the barn (twice expanded), closets, and more - and "stuff" fills it all. So, there is some wisdom in limiting storage to a reasonable and finite amount.

And the corollary to this is that your kids stuff will also expand to fill your available storage capabilities.
Fully agree though that also gets into the wisdom of knowing what stuff to keep and what stuff not to keep.

Which isn't always easy thing to know, but when tools, vehicles/implements and necessities for continued growth (or stability) can't be stored or even used due to lack of suitable storage/work space something has to change ..... which means it needs to be able to change (either by selling stuff off ...or adding more storage).

/ Farmstead planning #18  
Don't know that much about East Texas, as to climate and such, but these are things I wish I had done, living in the Pacific Northwest, and things I did that worked after twenty-years of occupancy.

Wish I had installed a metal roof.

Wish I had installed a sprinkler system for the gardens and fire control around the house.

Wish I had thought about the trees I didn't own, that grew up to block my view of the valley twenty years later.

I should have thought more about mud-rooms, and some place to store the out door furniture in the winter and more interior storage spaces.

I should not have depended on what neighbors said as to what their intentions were for their properties. People die, or pass on property, and those verbal understandings are out the window.

Address early, any thing that looks like adverse possession on the property.

Buy an, off the shelf, architecturally approved house design that fits what you want to do. Don't design your own house. Get all the designs down to two or three, and then imagine living in that house. As in, you are walking though it in 3D. I designed my own house, and it was a bit of a nightmare, with inspectors, even after the plans had been approved. Designing it myself, i had to justify everything to the inspectors, and sometimes had to quote the local building codes to them, that the structure was in compliance with code. This is not a problem if you buy a pre-designed plan that has a sign off from an architect.
Double up, stud/backing on anything you think you will need to hang stuff off of: Use screws and not nails.

Wired the whole house and garage with CAT 5 Ethernet wiring, which was entirely useless with newer wireless technology. The smart house now only needs one sender/responder.

Wish I had built the garage first.

What I did right:

I didn't buy into cable nets, like Com-cast, which would have costed a bit, cause I figured the phone lines would get better which they did, and gave me DSL. All the remote video stuff has worked out, even at rather slow speeds: This still worked well. Century Link, is though, getting expensive right now at 100$ a month: Though we use it 24/7.

All utilities are under ground.

The 1500 gallon cistern was a good idea, fed by the roof of the garage. Saves a bit on the ground well pump to water the garden, and helps fire fighters if they ever needed it. Should have put more water storage in place and made some of it above ground for gravity feed.

Built the 30 by 35 garage with very tall garage doors. Clearance is never a problem.

There is a golden-locks zone around any metro area. Its just outside the metro expansion zone, yet you can still drive 30 minutes to work. I got that sort of property, and these are the ones that appreciate in a rather exponential manner.

Think carefully of the "experts" that you hire. They may not be working for you. And talk you into all sorts of things you didn't need.

Last edited:
   / Farmstead planning
Also consider a whole house transfer switch. If you install the transfer switch when you build it makes the rest of the install later on much easier and is essentially just the additional cost of the switch.

Food storage for when you can't get to the stores because of natural disasters or ___fill in the blank____.

/ Farmstead planning #20  
Do not go overboard.

Things like a fire skid are not cheap and need maintenance. Hopefully, you will live your whole life without needing one. So, for all those years, will you keep fresh fuel in it and start it every 3-4 months to be sure it will work when you need it? How about water? How will you get the skid from where it is stored to where you will need it. How long to deploy it? Can your wife use it if you are not home?

As you get older, gardening is a PITA. Spending money and time on fences to keep out deer, rabbits, etc, etc are sunk costs that add little value. Same for running garden watering systems. Most livestock ties you to the homestead unless you have someone to take charge of animals when you are away for a trip. It all sounds romantic until you do it for a few years. Easier to buy stuff from the locals and cheaper to wait for sales. We use a large room in the basement to store over six months of food

Drinking water is essential...have two sources. A pond is nice feature in the yard, if you do not have small children, and for most of the year is handy for getting water to flush toilets, washing, baths etc.

You need back up power. And fuel.

I worry more about SHTF stuff so my thinking is skewed.