FarmTrac vs. Mahindra

/ FarmTrac vs. Mahindra #1  

Nissan197

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4WD
I thought I had my mind made up on a FarmTrac 360DTC. The cost for the tractor, FEL, two sets of remote outlets, foldable ROPS, Shuttle Shift is a little under 16K. They also have a 0% for 48 months financing deal. I was going to go to the dealer, which is approximately 75 miles away from me, but when I called to check on the hours they had a message saying they were on vacation and would be back on June 9th. Of course I had in my mind that I would be purchasing a tractor this week. With that going through my mind I started looking at a local dealer who sells Mahindras. I have looked at the 2615, and several other models. They are a little more in price, but the dealer is only 10 miles away, compared to 75. They appear to be nice tractors, but do not have as many add ons that the FarmTrac has. The FarmTrac is rated at 39 HP where a comparable Mahindra will cost me at least 3k more. I am totally confused now. They all feel good when I get on them and test them out. Do I go with the FarmTrac which has more options, cheaper in price, but the dealer is further away or do I go with a Mahindra? Do I even need a tractor rated at 39 HP, 4WD or could I get by with a 2WD? 10 acres of flat land with a house going up on it. Tractor would be used to brush hog approximately seven acres, maintain a drive, garden work, take care of small livestock in the future, basic hauling of items (nothing real big). I need some help making this huge decision.........opinions? Thank you.

/ FarmTrac vs. Mahindra #2  
Nissan197 said:
Do I even need a tractor rated at 39 HP, 4WD or could I get by with a 2WD? 10 acres of flat land with a house going up on it. Tractor would be used to brush hog approximately seven acres, maintain a drive, garden work, take care of small livestock in the future, basic hauling of items (nothing real big).

From what you've described, I'd say you don't need that big of a tractor but, do you want one?
We've got just under 12 acres and lease another 6. Our driveway is 600'. All easily handled with our 28hp tractor. Each persons needs are different.

/ FarmTrac vs. Mahindra #3  
You could handle 10 acres with a little less tractor, but, it's always nice to "have it and not need it" versus "needing it and not having it." Go with something in the 40hp-range and rest easy knowing you're always gonna have enough tractor to handle whatever jobs you have now...........and may discover in the future.

Mahindra vs. Long? Well, having the Mahindra dealer closer is a plus and they have become known for some well built rigs. Long has been around a while and have pretty good support.

Just MHO, I'd probably go with Long and get the extra goodies. But, hey.....

/ FarmTrac vs. Mahindra #4  
Nissan197:

You could get by with a smaller tractor, and with the money you saved downsizing you could buy a lot more attachments :D. There are a few times I wish I had a larger tractor but those times are pretty rare. I still can accomplish the task at hand. I can easily manage my 12.5 acres with my tractor. Good luck on your search and acquisition. Jay :)

/ FarmTrac vs. Mahindra #5  
Nissan197 said:
I thought I had my mind made up on a FarmTrac 360DTC. The cost for the tractor, FEL, two sets of remote outlets, foldable ROPS, Shuttle Shift is a little under 16K. They also have a 0% for 48 months financing deal. I was going to go to the dealer, which is approximately 75 miles away from me, but when I called to check on the hours they had a message saying they were on vacation and would be back on June 9th. Of course I had in my mind that I would be purchasing a tractor this week. With that going through my mind I started looking at a local dealer who sells Mahindras. I have looked at the 2615, and several other models. They are a little more in price, but the dealer is only 10 miles away, compared to 75. They appear to be nice tractors, but do not have as many add ons that the FarmTrac has. The FarmTrac is rated at 39 HP where a comparable Mahindra will cost me at least 3k more. I am totally confused now. They all feel good when I get on them and test them out. Do I go with the FarmTrac which has more options, cheaper in price, but the dealer is further away or do I go with a Mahindra? Do I even need a tractor rated at 39 HP, 4WD or could I get by with a 2WD? 10 acres of flat land with a house going up on it. Tractor would be used to brush hog approximately seven acres, maintain a drive, garden work, take care of small livestock in the future, basic hauling of items (nothing real big). I need some help making this huge decision.........opinions? Thank you.

Did you get pricing for the 2615 4WD w/ loader and vlves from that dealer. MSRP on the bare tractor is around 12k. I am a big fan of Mahindra, but the Farmtrac is a good machine too. I am not a big fan of HST on any tractor, was the Mahindra 2615 you looked at HST? Which dealer is more customer oriented / easier to work with? I would go with which ever dealer you felt more comfortable with. You may be able to go down to a smaller tractor though(26-28 hp). The tiller for the garden will be alot narrower and cheaper for a 28hp tractor than for a 40hp.I have a mahindra 4110 and find the implement cost higher becuase I need 6' wide tools to cover the wheels.The Farmtrac 270DTC would be comparable to the Mahindra 2615. Either way, good luck shopping.

/ FarmTrac vs. Mahindra #6  
You could easily get those jobs done with a 25-30 hp two wheel drive tractor. My FIL farmed way more land than that for a living with an 8N and a WD-45 back in the 50's.

The bigger machine will let you do the work faster. How much time do you want to spend sitting in the tractor seat? Is your priority to get the work done or to enjoy doing it? Those kinds of questions will help you decide which way to go. Take your time and shop around a lot. It's a big purchase that you should have for a long time, so get one you like.

/ FarmTrac vs. Mahindra
I went to the Mahindra dealer today and was very impressed with the 2615 and 3510. I was not so impressed with the price he quoted me though. Over 21K for the 3510 with a FEL and around 15 1/2K for the 2615. 3510 was shuttle shift and the 2615 was gear. I am sure I could easily knock him down 500 dollars or so, but don't think he would go much lower. I think that trip made my decision for me as long as the dealer with FarmTracs did not up his prices dramatically. I should be able to get the FarmTrac 360DTC w/fel for 16K or a little more. A savings of over 5K. I can buy a lot of implements with that money. Bad part is the dealer is on vacation until June 9th. Oh well, I waited this long I guess another 9 days won't kill me.

/ FarmTrac vs. Mahindra #8  
nissan, as the others have mentioned, you could easily do well w/ a 28-32 hp tractor, especially w/ what you have listed as what you want to do.

here are the prices my local mahindra dealer has on the tractors you looked at 3510 - $19,500 2615 (gear) - $14,795.

what part of kansas are you in? the dealer i'm talking about is btwn guthrie, ok and edmond, ok on I35.

the farmtrac seems like a good deal. i know a few people w/ them and they are happy.

/ FarmTrac vs. Mahindra #9  
I'd make sure that whichever I got, it would be 4wd. If you do anything more than casual FEL work, you'll wish you had it if you don't. It not only helps in the pile, but also stopping and controlling a loaded bucket.

/ FarmTrac vs. Mahindra #10  
I can't speak for Mahindras but I have had a Long tractor for many years and have been very satisfied with it but then again mine was made in Romania not Korea.

I looked at the Farmtrac 360DTC and was very impressed with all the extras you get but the platform does not cater to tall people like myself so I passed on it and am now getting the New Holland TC40A. I prefer the Farmtrac dealer over the New Holland dealer but what can you do if the tractor don't fit?

I was unable to get my Farmtrac dealer anywhere near the price you got yours to so I think for $16K it is a steal! My dealer would not go below $17,800!

Kiyiya