Favorite Boots Coming Apart

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #11  
Just to mention for those that have experienced the Bates or Wolverine ( same company ) Duroshock sole issues that jaxs mentioned i.e. them falling apart & becoming "gummy". I've had two pair replaced by Bates. They require pictures but are easy to work with.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #12  
I just took a pair of Georgia Boots (steel toe) to the local shoe cobbler. They have lots of miles on them but the Vibram sole was coming off. The guy charged me $25 to reglue. Well, he did a crappy job....the heel of one boot had no glue . So, today I'll be wearing them with some JB Weld that I smeared in and put the dang things in my machinist vise for a couple days.:mad:

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #13  
Repairable boots need a welt. Boots that have a glue on sole with a molded sole are consumable boots. Once their done, they're done.

Boots with full grain leather and a welt are more expensive, but the cost is spread over a much longer period if they are resoled.

I have never worn out a good pair of upper leathers on a boot. I have worn out multiple boots because of a worn out sole.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart
Repairable boots need a welt. Boots that have a glue on sole with a molded sole are consumable boots. Once their done, they're done.

Boots with full grain leather and a welt are more expensive, but the cost is spread over a much longer period if they are resoled.

I have never worn out a good pair of upper leathers on a boot. I have worn out multiple boots because of a worn out sole.

My Brownings are traditional welt design and a local cobbler was able to resole them. But, they are now 15 years old, got much heavier use and the uppers are pretty much shot.

I contacted Meindl USA about my boots. They said they have no repair facilities in the US. They referred me to Dave Page Cobbler in Seattle. His website says they repair molded sole boots and shoes and that is their specialty. I sent pictures and asked for an estimate.

If they can't do it I'll give it a try myself.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #15  
I'm hard on boots so I repair often. SIKAFLEX tube caulk will hold a complete sole on a boot. NP-1 is next in line. I mean it will stay until the boots are gone.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #16  
My Brownings are traditional welt design and a local cobbler was able to resole them. But, they are now 15 years old, got much heavier use and the uppers are pretty much shot.

I contacted Meindl USA about my boots. They said they have no repair facilities in the US. They referred me to Dave Page Cobbler in Seattle. His website says they repair molded sole boots and shoes and that is their specialty. I sent pictures and asked for an estimate.

If they can't do it I'll give it a try myself.

Did not know there was someone who did that. Let us know the price and if they do good work. I have a few boots that could use a new molded sole.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #17  
I'm going to attempt the repair myself. Nothing to lose at this point. Will get both surfaces clean. Get boots warmed up. A few globs of Shoe Goo where the rubber is deteriorating and then contact cement everywhere else and then tape them up to hold everything in place. Will probably take four hands so I'll get my wife to help.

If I could get through a few more months with them I'd consider it a win.
Go get a tube of Dow 995 and lay it in there like cake frosting ...it will NEVER come undone.

Did not know there was someone who did that. Let us know the price and if they do good work. I have a few boots that could use a new molded sole.
There is a video about how he got started on their web page. Worth a look. Just search "Dave Page Cobbler". Their personal take on people's favorite boots is interesting and accurate. I've had plenty of junk boots but the good ones I'll never forget. Okay, I'll never forget some of the bad ones either.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #19  
That's medical miracle! I have heel spurs on both feet. They are bony protrusions and they can be removed surgically. My treatment has been stretching and wearing better shoes. That just makes the tendons and ligaments around them more flexible and less likely to get inflamed and cause pain.

I think I know what you meant, though. I am hoping to find good boots to wear given my high arches and heel spurs.

I think it was a miracle considering time and expense I was facing if getting surgery. That's why I chalked it up as a win and bought more without complaining. A trucker friend turned me on to the boots after they relieved his heel spurs. Two people I told about the boots also got relief so I suggest giving them a try. The first postive sign I noticed was less pain after about a month when first getting out of bed. Some where between 6 months and a year I zero discomfort.

I heard back immediately from Dave Page (always a good sign). He will do a complete "re-bottom" and re-sole for $125. Since the uppers are in good shape and a new pair of comparable boots would be well over $350 I am going to give it a shot.