Favorite Boots Coming Apart

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #21  
I heard back immediately from Dave Page (always a good sign). He will do a complete "re-bottom" and re-sole for $125. Since the uppers are in good shape and a new pair of comparable boots would be well over $350 I am going to give it a shot.
That is a good price...let us know how it goes and definitely post some before and after pictures so we can see the quality.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / Favorite Boots Coming Apart #22  
I've had good luck with Lowa and Zamberlan. Both are pricey, but well worth it.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #23  
There is a video about how he got started on their web page. Worth a look. Just search "Dave Page Cobbler". Their personal take on people's favorite boots is interesting and accurate. I've had plenty of junk boots but the good ones I'll never forget. Okay, I'll never forget some of the bad ones either.
Yes, he is well known around these parts! Lot's of hikers/climbers get referred to him by places like REI Co-op. Don't know if you know REI but they are legendary outdoors equipment store that originated in Seattle back in the 1930s. I buy my boots and shoes there... great quality and service.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart
There is an REI store not too far from me. Have heard great things about their service and products. Have never shopped there since my needs are more for a hunting boot than a hiking or snow boot.....but in reality there is probably a lot of crossover in terms of features and design.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #25  
Nevermind. I just removed the rubber soles that were peeling away and the rubber bed underneath is crumbling away. These cannot be repaired.

Sad. And I doubt I'll buy another pair of Meindls. $325 and only last 5 years of fairly infrequent use is unacceptable. My previous Brownings lasted nearly 10 years of harder use. I'm hunting in that pair now. They're not waterproof anymore and they are not as supportive but still warm and usable.

These were "Cabelas by Meindl" and some say the Cabelas ones were not made as well as "actual" Meindls but on the tag inside the tongue mine say "Meindl made in Germany". So if Meindl made a lesser product for the US market through Cabelas I see that as a prime way to ruin your reputation.
The best boots made are whites handmade boots. They are 100% rebuildable. They are also made to order for your foot. I’m a forester and wear them in rough conditions frequently. One pair of whites lasts me 20 years and I get them resoled twice during that time.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #26  
Nicks' boots USA
White's Boots USA
Viberg Canada
Drew's boots USA
Anything else is a throway these days.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart
My son in law is a surveyor. He wears Meindls every day and has for years. He swears by them and most of his crew and his brother’s crew wear them as well. The ones they wear are nearly $400 but they are uninsulated. The company pays for theirs. I need at least 400g Thinsulate or equivalent for winter boots. It doesn’t get that cold down here but if it’s below freezing and I’m sitting still deer hunting my feet get cold with anything less.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #29  
(y)Whites boots

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #30  
You forgot wescos
You are right.... I just never could get a good fit with their off the rack boots. The other guys measure and build to order. Totally custom if you want them.