Favorite Boots Coming Apart

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #31  
You are right.... I just never could get a good fit with their off the rack boots. The other guys measure and build to order. Totally custom if you want them.
I have always bought Whites during my entire 40 year forestry career. They have my foot measurements and just make my boots to fit perfectly. The boots are the best fitting and longest lasting boots I have ever had. If you oil them regularly, you can get 20 years from them with a couple of re-soling. When you look at it long term, $500 for these boots is a bargain. Especially since the fit cannot be beat.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #32  
Don't laugh.

I've repaired a couple of boots using urethane construction caulking.
(actually Flextra brand) and they stayed well glued.
Flextra is about the same as windshield adhesive, only cheaper and comes in long caulking gun tubes.

In the past I had glue patched some holes in a metal roof that way and later tried to remove that patch.
Only pulling with vice grips and slicing with a sharp blade did the trick.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #33  
I have always bought Whites during my entire 40 year forestry career. They have my foot measurements and just make my boots to fit perfectly. The boots are the best fitting and longest lasting boots I have ever had. If you oil them regularly, you can get 20 years from them with a couple of re-soling. When you look at it long term, $500 for these boots is a bargain. Especially since the fit cannot be beat.
For decades I had a guy in Portland Oregon make my boots, John Newberry. He learned at Whites, then struck out on his own. I think he made me five pair of work boots, I still have a pair of dress boots, all lace ups. He died and so I went to get a pair of Whites. They made me two pair that came back WRONG, I couldn't believe it. The agent I was dealing with in Eugene Oregon, was dismayed and sent my measurements to Nick. He made me two pair, nothing short of outstanding. These will go with me to my grave.

If you are gonna lay out that kind of dough for boots, measured for YOU is the way to go. Toes fit, ankles fit, each foot and leg is slightly different. Their's no substitution for quality. Like Filson says,"you might as well have the best"

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #34  
For decades I had a guy in Portland Oregon make my boots, John Newberry. He learned at Whites, then struck out on his own. I think he made me five pair of work boots, I still have a pair of dress boots, all lace ups. He died and so I went to get a pair of Whites. They made me two pair that came back WRONG, I couldn't believe it. The agent I was dealing with in Eugene Oregon, was dismayed and sent my measurements to Nick. He made me two pair, nothing short of outstanding. These will go with me to my grave.

If you are gonna lay out that kind of dough for boots, measured for YOU is the way to go. Toes fit, ankles fit, each foot and leg is slightly different. Their's no substitution for quality. Like Filson says,"you might as well have the best"
Whites will always make things right. They have never failed me. You should have called them to speak with repairs. They are good about remaking or modifying boots until they are perfect. And for no additional charge. But I agree that Nick’s also make good boots. Lots of people like them.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #35  
Whites will always make things right. They have never failed me. You should have called them to speak with repairs. They are good about remaking or modifying boots until they are perfect. And for no additional charge. But I agree that Nick’s also make good boots. Lots of people like them.
I would have enjoyed them making it right, but after having them send me one pair, sending them back, sending me another pair, sending them back, I got frustrated enough, politely said, to forget them. Some one in their mfg chain royally screwed up, First pair I waited two months for, second pair, another seven weeks. Nicks got me the first pair in six weeks and I liked them so much I ordered another pair two years later.. I know the White's reputation, but enough was enough.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #36  
I would have enjoyed them making it right, but after having them send me one pair, sending them back, sending me another pair, sending them back, I got frustrated enough, politely said, to forget them. Some one in their mfg chain royally screwed up, First pair I waited two months for, second pair, another seven weeks. Nicks got me the first pair in six weeks and I liked them so much I ordered another pair two years later.. I know the White's reputation, but enough was enough.
That’s too bad. My experience has always been quick and extraordinary. If you deal with them again, talk with Mike in repairs.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart
That is a good price...let us know how it goes and definitely post some before and after pictures so we can see the quality.
Got the boots back. Very pleased. Here are the before pictures:

IMG_2276.jpg
IMG_2278.jpg

As you can see the area under the rubber sole is totally shot and falling apart. This was a common issue for the Cabela's version of these expensive Meindl boots.

Here are the after photos:

IMG_2301.jpg
IMG_2300.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg

Vibram soles, which I prefer.

The cost was $145 from Dave Page Cobbler. That included a an $8 option for waxing them (a bottle of the wax came with the boots too) and $13 shipping back to me. It cost me around $20 to ship to them which is what pushes the cost very close to being too much. $165 to refurb a $325 pair of boots is a questionable decision.

Several things make the decision worth it to me. First, these boots are the most comfortable footwear I have ever owned. They are still warm and still waterproof. Second, the lacing system is perfect. The best I've ever seen. Easy on, easy off, easy to get just right. Third, I like doing business with people like Dave Page. He contacted me personally when I emailed him and he sent updates regarding the order status. His is a small business, based in the US, great attitude, helpful and attentive and seems to do good work.

Of course, the proof will be in the pudding. If the repair lasts I will consider this a good if not great investment. If they don't last, well, live and learn.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #38  
Never had an issue with my Meindl's but then I only wear them when hunting and change the foot beds yearly too. Excellent boots, good side support too. Just as good as Kennetrecs and less expensive to boot (pun intended).

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart
Never had an issue with my Meindl's but then I only wear them when hunting and change the foot beds yearly too. Excellent boots, good side support too. Just as good as Kennetrecs and less expensive to boot (pun intended).
I've heard that it was only the ones branded by Cabelas that had this issue. I imagine Cabelas contracted for a lower spec but I can't prove that. Meindl no longer makes boots for Cabelas. I think doing so damaged their reputation a little. Other than the issue I had, these Meindls are still the best boots I've ever owned.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #40  
Buy a pair of Red Wings and be done with it. They wear like iron but a little pricey. Plus it’s getting harder and harder to find a cobbler and more, it’s a lost trade.