Favorite Boots Coming Apart

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart
Buy a pair of Red Wings and be done with it. They wear like iron but a little pricey. Plus it’s getting harder and harder to find a cobbler and more, it’s a lost trade.
Agree in general about the cobbler but Dave Page seems to be the real deal. The quality of the repair on my boots could not appear any better. Looks like brand new.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #42  
Buy a pair of Red Wings and be done with it. They wear like iron but a little pricey. Plus it’s getting harder and harder to find a cobbler and more, it’s a lost trade.
Never could get more than 6 months out of a pair of redwings. My local dealer had to replace my first three pair under warranty because the soles would come off with 2 months. Get longer wear out of cheap Walmart Brahma boots.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #43  
I’m lucky I have a cobbler about 18 miles away, he does good work. He just resoled a pair of Tony Lama’s for me. He looks like he just left Woodstock, lol But is really nice and proficient.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart
I’m lucky I have a cobbler about 18 miles away, he does good work. He just resoled a pair of Tony Lama’s for me. He looks like he just left Woodstock, lol But is really nice and proficient.
That’s funny, in the video on the Dave Page website his cobblers pretty much look like hippies. More power to them if they are doing what they like and doing it well.

/ Favorite Boots Coming Apart #45  
Got the boots back. Very pleased. Here are the before pictures:

View attachment 725447View attachment 725448

As you can see the area under the rubber sole is totally shot and falling apart. This was a common issue for the Cabela's version of these expensive Meindl boots.

Here are the after photos:

View attachment 725449View attachment 725450View attachment 725451

Vibram soles, which I prefer.

The cost was $145 from Dave Page Cobbler. That included a an $8 option for waxing them (a bottle of the wax came with the boots too) and $13 shipping back to me. It cost me around $20 to ship to them which is what pushes the cost very close to being too much. $165 to refurb a $325 pair of boots is a questionable decision.

Several things make the decision worth it to me. First, these boots are the most comfortable footwear I have ever owned. They are still warm and still waterproof. Second, the lacing system is perfect. The best I've ever seen. Easy on, easy off, easy to get just right. Third, I like doing business with people like Dave Page. He contacted me personally when I emailed him and he sent updates regarding the order status. His is a small business, based in the US, great attitude, helpful and attentive and seems to do good work.

Of course, the proof will be in the pudding. If the repair lasts I will consider this a good if not great investment. If they don't last, well, live and learn.

Thanks for the update. That turnaround time was quick. I am shocked they do the molded and glued soles, but glad they do. I have a pair of old Scarpas that need the same treatment.

Hope they work for you again for another 10 years.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / Favorite Boots Coming Apart #46  
Yep, in these days of a disposable society, nice to see a refurb vs. a trashing. (y)

• Good Post
Reactions: N80