Favorite Childhood Toy

/ Favorite Childhood Toy #121  
I tried flaming arrows but they never stayed lit like in the movies.

/ Favorite Childhood Toy #122  
I tried flaming arrows but they never stayed lit like in the movies.
I learned a little later in life that the indians used pine tar...!

We made DIY fireworks by taping sparklers to arrows...laying on the beach at night we would should them up out over the water...sometimes some of the sparklers would peel off in mid flight looking cool...!

/ Favorite Childhood Toy #123  
Don't know how we survived all the roman candle fights we had .Playing lawn darts bare foot always aimed for the guy you didn't like.Kinda sortive:confused3::drink:

/ Favorite Childhood Toy #124  
Ever play "ropin' Cowboy"? That's where I learned the definition of "Rope Burn"...big time!

My Grandfather also taught me how to make another very dangerous toy; my Mom was not amused. I'll try to describe it best I can...you started with a Cedar shingle, split into about a 3" width. The thin end (the tail )was then shaped like a vane on a windmill, and quickly tapered down to a sharp point on the fat end (the front). A notch was formed about an inch or so back of the point, on the bottom. This was the missile. The second part (the launcher) was simply a flexible stick, about 18" long, and a bit bigger around than a pencil, with a loop of string tied to the top. Take the missile by the tail, with the stick in the other hand, hook the loop in the notch, and just rare back and "flip" the missile.
You'r on your own.

/ Favorite Childhood Toy #125  
Ever play "ropin' Cowboy"? That's where I learned the definition of "Rope Burn"...big time!

My Grandfather also taught me how to make another very dangerous toy; my Mom was not amused. I'll try to describe it best I can...you started with a Cedar shingle, split into about a 3" width. The thin end (the tail )was then shaped like a vane on a windmill, and quickly tapered down to a sharp point on the fat end (the front). A notch was formed about an inch or so back of the point, on the bottom. This was the missile. The second part (the launcher) was simply a flexible stick, about 18" long, and a bit bigger around than a pencil, with a loop of string tied to the top. Take the missile by the tail, with the stick in the other hand, hook the loop in the notch, and just rare back and "flip" the missile.
You'r on your own.

Dad made one for me but thought better of it after a while and took it back. Said he had seen some damaged kids back in the day. They were used centuries ago as actual battlefield weapons. Which they are. Of course most anything can be used as a weapon.

/ Favorite Childhood Toy #126  
Dad made one for me but thought better of it after a while and took it back. Said he had seen some damaged kids back in the day. They were used centuries ago as actual battlefield weapons. Which they are. Of course most anything can be used as a weapon.

I wasn't aware of that. Would like to know what they called them; maybe research it some. We also made David vs. Goliath sling shots, which can be quite impressive when you know how to use them, and will sling a rock a loooooong way! Accuracy is a bit of a problem though...

/ Favorite Childhood Toy #127  

You'r on your own.

Google is your friend....

/ Favorite Childhood Toy #128  
I wasn't aware of that. Would like to know what they called them; maybe research it some. We also made David vs. Goliath sling shots, which can be quite impressive when you know how to use them, and will sling a rock a loooooong way! Accuracy is a bit of a problem though...

I had one of those too, I probably slung a million rocks. I got pretty good with mine. Those were also weapons of war in ancient times.

/ Favorite Childhood Toy #129  
Don't know how we survived all the roman candle fights we had .Playing lawn darts bare foot always aimed for the guy you didn't like.Kinda sortive:confused3::drink:

We had our share of roman candle battles but bottle rockets added another dimension...(bang)...

We would take model battleships and load them up with firecrackers and airplane glue...then set them loose in someones pool or a pond etc...then we would use roman candles to "sink the bismark"...!

/ Favorite Childhood Toy #130  
We had a bunch of those sling shots. We figured out that they had enough oopmph to go thru the one billboard in town (it was teeny compared to today's).

We also had a fair number of bb gun wars - amazingly no one got seriously hurt from those.

We also would put flashlights on top of any remote control car anyone got so we could use them after dark. That was ok until someone's Mom put their car in a ditch thinking the RC car was real and the light was coming right at her...