Favorite way of watering vegetable garden?

/ Favorite way of watering vegetable garden? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Everyone,

We just put in a large garden (3 plots) over the weekend. I'm going to be putting in a well next weekend. For now, we have a hose from the house stretched out to the garden.

I'm wondering what you have found works best for watering a large garden? Do you prefer the sprinklers that water in a circular pattern? If so, do you put them on a pipe and get them up higher in the air? Do you prefer the oscillating sprinklers that go back and forth? Soaker hoses (how do you weed?) Some other option not mentioned above?

Just wondering what works the best for you?

/ Favorite way of watering vegetable garden? #2  
Rain Bird on top of a 4' high tripod works best for us.
Ours are homemade, but similar to this.

Attachments

• 212073_lg.jpg
    212073_lg.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 203
   / Favorite way of watering vegetable garden? #3  
I flood irrigate that way I am not promoting the grass and weeds between rows uses about half the water or less also.

Used a middle buster and flood the furrow and seed along the ridges on either side or seed in the bottom of the furrow depending on the particular plant such as potatoes they go in the bottom so I can hill them easily. hth

I posted a pic of my garden this morning if interested in the "weeds in garden" thread.

/ Favorite way of watering vegetable garden? #4  
We have had very good luck with drip irrigation on our vegetable garden. It uses very little water, and the weeds get nothing, so much less work for us once it's up & running.
-Jim

/ Favorite way of watering vegetable garden? #5  
I do water my vegetable garden using well water. I prefer well water because. It doesn稚 carry chlorine and chemicals like tap water. I water my vegetable garden every evening by a water hose and I really enjoy doing it.

/ Favorite way of watering vegetable garden? #6  
I started gardening just last spring and I really enjoy catching the rain water in buckets and transferring to a galvanized bucket with a spout.

I really want to get set up with gutters leading to a central container.

Rain water accumulates quite gast. Of course if it doesn't rain, you run out of water, in which case I water with well water.