FD Kees 36" walk behind...

/ FD Kees 36" walk behind... #1  

Midniteoyl

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, Ford 3400, Gizmow ZTR, Simplicity 7016H
Picked me up one of these.. has a blown 8hp Honda motor. I found it originally came with a B&S 12hp and I have a B&S 11.5hp that can go on it. Belts need changing, but its complete, spindles are good, blades are good, NO rust holes.. very very solid..

Paid $75.. Good deal?

Anyone know where to find the manual? I found one for a mid 90's Eglestar 1 wich is the closest I could find to match....

1987 FD Kees Model 361860P

Engine Cycle: 4
Engine Horsepower: 12
Engine Make: B&S
Cutting Type: Rotary
Cutting Width: 36
Cutting Height: 1.5-5
Self-Propelled: Yes
Weight: 408

Thanks!

Kees 1.jpg

/ FD Kees 36" walk behind...
*crickets*

/ FD Kees 36" walk behind... #3  
I'm just getting ready to work on one of these...mine's a 1989 Snapper badged version...don't think they changed anything until going to peerless gearboxes and double-wide wheel drive belts. I have the manual but I'll have to try to figure out my scanner.

Any specific items you're looking for?

Don't see how you could go wrong for $75, pair of rear tires costs that much.

CCC52, that looks to be exactly it. Thanks! Haven't gotten mine up and running yet as Ive been busy..

/ FD Kees 36" walk behind... #6  
Went and grabbed my manual, mower is stored another 50 miles away until I pick her up this week.

Another link for possibly cross-referencing parts: Lawn Mower Parts, Small Engine Parts & Much More! | PartsTree.com - Briggs, MTD, Toro, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Troy-bilt...

Mine is the "K" model with the Kawasaki FB460V. I think the only variances are simply engine related.

FWIW mine was a fine mower. I bought it in near new condition with an estimated 80 hours use. NOS Kees were selling for about $200 more @ $1200, new Snappers another +$200. My first two seasons were easy and low hour usage. Never a problem. Third season I bought out a local operation and things got crazy fast. Lots of acreage, insane July rain and I had to hire help and add another mower. I had a really nice customized 4x6 trailer or I'd have gotten a 48 so I settled on an Encore 36. Great mower but another thread down the line as parts are ordered for that one too...LOL. Novel rig, Nissan pickup with a 36 and ramps in the bed, 36 and trim mower on the trailer. Wish I had pics but it worked. Shoulda been illegal!!

Where the Kees fell short was the skinny wheel drive assembly. It works just fine if you're not mowing soaked lawns or running through standing water. Workload demanded it and at the time most mowers weren't built like Scags with the Peerless and double-wide drive belts...Yep, Bobcat, Deere---even eXmark had skinny drive and 4 speed worm gear trannies. Fourth year I cut out the worst properties and went back to solo with occasional help which led to the Snapper being used for it's last cut. Snapped the key on a spindle, replaced the key and snapped it again. Didn't have time for spindle work with the Encore kicking grass. Started and ran it for years thinking I'd need that spare FB460V but never did. The Encore still runs and cuts after seeing much more use than the Snapper. Resale on the Snapper/Kees was pathetic, storage was a much better option to a guy who always pays cash.

If you need any parts lookup beyond the web links just lemme know, FWIW my Snapper manual features a good pic of the mower with a KEES decal on the gas tank LOL! Didn't even bother to shoot a new picture. An old buddy has the equivalent 48 but his has the 5 speed and big belts.

My first chore is going to be start-up but I plan on restoring mine to it's 1993 state ("used look" but with every critical moving part replaced). I'll get some pics up real soon.

They do have good belt prices.. I just paid $22 ea for 44" x 5/8" Kevlar belts..

/ FD Kees 36" walk behind... #9  
Clearly burning that "midnite oil". I always do.

I don't know my scanner but I do need to get you some pics of cutting height adjustment. Clearly a failed design by way of others, very neat though. Should be able to get some good results, Those funky front casters are only part of the puzzle. She'll go 1" to 5", you'll need the pics/description. More versatile than some modern offerings?

Pics would be cool... I was looking in the manual for the Eaglestar and saw that the rears were gonna be hard.