fd

/ fd #1  

beesaw

Tractor
Ford 3000
fd

Last edited:
   / fd #2  
What's the engine oil look like? I'm thinking you probably have a leaking head gasket.

Last edited:
   / fd
Have you confirmed an actual overheat condition with a known IR thermometer or other means? Or are you relying on the OEM gauge? A bad instrument cluster ground or faulty voltage stabilizer can skew the temp gauge.
right now just relying on the OEM gauge. I do have a thermometer that connects to my decent volt meter, where would be recommended to test? just has a probe

/ fd #8  
Yeah, let's keep throwing parts at it until we figure out it isn't overheating.
Didn't suggest he replace it. Suggested it might be the problem. No point in this thread has anyone mentioned the pump.

Are both the top and bottom hoses hot? Do we know there is any flow? How can we measure that the flow is sufficient? A temp guage going to do that?

@RickB you are superstar and I'm and idiot. Im gone. Good luck @beesaw

/ fd #9  
Cloudy coolant could be crud from the block and radiator, or it could be a sign of a bad head gasket. But let's not panic. Have you seen any steam? Pushing coolant from the overflow?
There should be a 30-40 degree difference between the upper and lower hoses at operating temp give or take. Max temp observed really shouldn't be much over 200. But know that the surface an IR thermometer is reading will affect the results. It's best to use them to understand differences between surfaces than take the results as absolutes.

/ fd #10  
Didn't suggest he replace it. Suggested it might be the problem. No point in this thread has anyone mentioned the pump.

Are both the top and bottom hoses hot? Do we know there is any flow? How can we measure that the flow is sufficient? A temp guage going to do that?

@RickB you are superstar and I'm and idiot. Im gone. Good luck @beesaw
Fins rust off of water pumps.