Fed up with the garden

/ Fed up with the garden #241  
I can't keep up with the cukes, they are still good, even as large as they are. Green bean stalks are up to 14 feet tall and producing like crazy. The top of the hog wire is 7'8", the bamboo pole goes another 5 or 6 feet. I will be picking them with an orchard ladder.
garden 2023 1.jpg
garden 2023 2.jpg
garden 2023 3.jpg

/ Fed up with the garden #242  
Well, I bushhogged my corn patch around Mid July and replanted. See the pre-bushhog pic, pathetic. But here are the progression pics. From Before Bushhoging on July 16th, After tilling and replanting July 17th and July 30th about 10" to this evening at about 8' tall. I hit this patch with 45 nitrogen at about 10" and again at about 2' tall. See the apple tree for perspective. Apple tree is about 12' tall. Now, it is setting the fruit and I am going to water if we don't get rain tomorrow.

I think it is 75 day variety corn so I will possibly have corn by end of Sept. I know, that's late but we essentially freeze it and eat it all year. I hope there are enough growing units left to produce a yield.

Attachments

• PXL_20230716_153354488.jpg
    PXL_20230716_153354488.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20230717_140258424 (1).jpg
    PXL_20230717_140258424 (1).jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20230730_213127531.jpg
    PXL_20230730_213127531.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20230906_001143591.jpg
    PXL_20230906_001143591.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20230906_001055517.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230906_001055517.MP.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
   / Fed up with the garden #243  
I am jealous of that corn. We are not in sweet corn country unless we grow Canadian varieties and even then it is hit and miss.

/ Fed up with the garden #244  
I am jealous of that corn. We are not in sweet corn country unless we grow Canadian varieties and even then it is hit and miss.
The key to growing corn is nitrogen and water. Water right after you apply nitrogen at about 10 inches. Then water again as the ears are starting to form.

A good soaking water with a soaker hose that gets down deep. Or a good inch or two of rain will do the trick

/ Fed up with the garden #245  
Corn also likes hot weather, something that's been in short supply for much of this summer up this way. No shortage of moisture though...

One thing I've gotta say is that the early-season "Florida corn" has gotten much better in recent years. Doesn't seem many years ago that it was pretty tough, but now it's as sweet as fresh picked. Different variety perhaps?

/ Fed up with the garden #246  
Corn also likes hot weather, something that's been in short supply for much of this summer up this way. No shortage of moisture though...

One thing I've gotta say is that the early-season "Florida corn" has gotten much better in recent years. Doesn't seem many years ago that it was pretty tough, but now it's as sweet as fresh picked. Different variety perhaps?
It used to be that as soon as it was picked the sugar would start turning to starch. The “old timers” would say that the only way to eat it fresh was to put the water on to boil, then go out and pick the corn.

In the past few years they’ve come up with some gmo “super sweet” varieties with more sugar and which turns to starch more slowly. I hate to admit it but I bought some at a stand before mine was ready and it was better than what I grow. The farmer’s son was eating an ear raw while I was there, that’s how sweet it is.

/ Fed up with the garden #247  
It used to be that as soon as it was picked the sugar would start turning to starch. The “old timers” would say that the only way to eat it fresh was to put the water on to boil, then go out and pick the corn.

In the past few years they’ve come up with some gmo “super sweet” varieties with more sugar and which turns to starch more slowly. I hate to admit it but I bought some at a stand before mine was ready and it was better than what I grow. The farmer’s son was eating an ear raw while I was there, that’s how sweet it is.
Not necessarily GMO, allmost all sweet corn is hybrids. So none is useable as seed as you have no idea what you will get.

/ Fed up with the garden #248  
I’m done with mine the pepper and cakes all rotted the tomatoes are all we picked this year all the cold crops rotted or drowned. I plowed out everything but the tomatoes and planted some daikon , turnips and mustard. I’ll disc them down I. The spring and hope for better luck next year

/ Fed up with the garden #249  
The turkeys went through my tomatoes today, and got what few fruit was almost ready. That’s OK though, they weren’t doing well anyhow and turkey season starts on Saturday.

/ Fed up with the garden
I can't believe how many people had crap gardening seasons, not just in my area but from the sounds of many here, all around the continent.
Thank goodness for real farmers who keep us fed.