Federal Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Final Rule

/ Federal Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Final Rule #1  

SkyPup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs
On April 1, 2005, The Engine Manufacturers Association (EMA) sent a letter to members of Congress requesting that they “oppose any effort to alter or delay the diesel sulfur content standards.” NPRA, the American Petroleum Institute (API), and the Association of Oil Pipelines (AOPL) issued a joint response letter, addressed to Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) and Congressman Joe Barton (R-TX), reiterating their support for EPA’s ULSD regulations and emphasizing their interest in protecting the nation’s fuel supply.

FEDERAL ULTRA LOW SULFUR HIGHWAY DIESEL FINAL RULE

15 ppm sulfur cap by September 1, 2006 at retail

July 15, 2006 at terminals

June 1, 2006 at refineries

http://www.npradc.org/issues/fuels/pdf/ULSD%20final%20rule%20Nov2004.pdf#search='ULSD%20RULE'

For Non-Road, ie RED DYE DIESEL, ULSD is coming soon too:

http://www.epa.gov/nonroad-diesel/2004fr/420f04029.pdf

That's good news for diesels everywhere! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Federal Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Final Rule
4/22/2005 - BP is investing some $130 million on new ultra low-sulfur diesel facilities at its Whiting, Indiana refinery.

The addition of a new Distillate Hydrotreater (DHT) will allow the refinery, the fourth largest in the US, to produce approximately 36,000 barrels per day of the ultra low-sulfur diesel product.

BP has already begun preliminary work on the project and expects to complete construction in mid-2006.

Under EPA rules, 80% of the BP Whiting refinery’s on-road diesel fuel must meet the new EPA specification by June 2006. By January 2010 all on-road diesel must contain no more than 15 ppm sulfur. Off-road diesel transitions to the 15 ppm specification in 2010, and locomotive and marine diesel follow in 2012.

Currently, the Whiting refinery produces approximately 81,000 barrels of diesel fuel (some 3.4 million gallons) per day, and only delivers limited quantities of ultra low-sulfur diesel fuel to the Chicago Transit Authority and a limited amount of other customers.

/ Federal Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Final Rule #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...Under EPA rules, 80% of the BP Whiting refinery’s on-road diesel fuel must meet the new EPA specification by June 2006. By January 2010 all on-road diesel must contain no more than 15 ppm sulfur. ...)</font>

Does that mean that fuel with sulfur greater than 15ppm is still going to be around after 6/2006, until 1/2010?

/ Federal Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Final Rule #4  
Another way to run the price up another $1 a gallon! Or at least an excuse to as if its not already way overpriced.

Curt

/ Federal Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Final Rule #5  
Thom I'll be curious if it will allow some of the diesels currently not allowed into this country in. Here in California we have certainly got more smog emission rules then anywhere in the country and it precludes the sale of certain diesels to be sold here. While there seem to be many who scoff at any attempt to decrease emissions either by engine design or fuel design, folks here in California, especially in the south can certainly attest to how much cleaner the air is, there is no question about it. That is inspite of the fact that we have many more miles being driven today then in the past.

/ Federal Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Final Rule #6  
SkyPup, have you or anyone else used the #2 "soy" diesel blend? That is what every company quoted me this morning. It seems that from my last fuel delivery that all my local companies have begun using a soy blend. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anything I should know or be wary of?

/ Federal Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Final Rule #7  
<font color="blue"> Anything I should know or be wary of? </font>
What's the blend of std diesel vs biodiesel? The fact that it's "soy" wont make a difference.

/ Federal Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Final Rule #8  
I'm told that it is 5% soy.

/ Federal Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Final Rule #9  
Soy based biodiesel gells at a HIGHER temperature in the winter, given that you live in southern Indiana, that should be a very minor issue. Biodiesel, in general, has greater lubricity. And when you burn it it may smell a bit like a fast food french fry deep fryer.

/ Federal Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Final Rule #10  
November 2004. An illustration why lower vehicle emissions are a worthwhile goal... see attached.