feedback on HF AD welding helmet

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet
Hmm.. something you said made me notice a marking on the box and the hood. on the box.. it claims 'great for mig and arc welding;'... however.. on the hood.. there is a little sticker inside that only claims 'grat for arc welding;'..

Hmm... sounds like the hood may not be fast enough for the mig???

Soundguy

Dargo said:
Perfect. When arc welding that is exactly how I'd describe the HF AD hood. The initial sparks from striking an arc work absolutely perfectly for the AD part to function. Even when TIG welding I can use the HF hood because the torch will initiate the darkening fine. My only complaint, as I mentioned earlier to you, is that (even with 3 different HF hoods - I did take the first 2 back) when MIG welding I get nailed with that hood. Maybe it's because I'm using .035 wire and running fairly hot with 3/8" material. I don't know. All I know is that I positively cannot use the HF AD hood for that. It cost considerably more, but my Miller Elite Big Window AD hood never flashes me, so that is what I use. As I suggested earlier, if you only arc weld or TIG weld, I correctly guessed you'd be okay with the cheap AD hood. :)

Also.. only those 2 controls on mine.. just delay and shade...

Soundguy

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #13  
Okay, laugh now, I'm in severe pain to say this, but here it goes anyway; I'd have to agree that the HF AD hood would indeed be a great bargain for arc welding.

sigh

gasp

There, I said it. Quick, get me a drink! :D

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #14  
Dargo, There is hope for you yet!!! :)

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #15  
I also use the Harbor Freight helmet and it has worked well since I got it a few years back.It's nice not have to mess flipping a helmet down every time you need to strike an arc and for the 50 bucks it's a real bargain.

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #16  
One thing about the mig versus arc. In the manual for my HF mig welder, it refers to mig welding as arc welding. I think something gets lost in the translation. I use HF ad for mig and arc and it works great.
Dave

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #17  
Guys.... Mig welding is arc welding:)

Mig, Stick, Tig..... all Arc welding.

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #18  
wushaw said:

Okay, sure, but on this site how many guys are going to know exactly what I'm talking about if I speak of shielded metal arc welding, flux core arc welding, electroslag welding, gas metal arc welding, submerged arc welding, plasma arc welding or gas tungsten arc welding? I think since we are on a tractor site and not a welding site, most people more readily understand the three most common homeowner welding methods as stick or arc welding, MIG welding, and TIG welding; SMAW, GMAW, and GTAW if it suits you better. ;)

/ feedback on HF AD welding helmet #19  
Dargo said:
Okay, sure, but on this site how many guys are going to know exactly what I'm talking about if I speak of shielded metal arc welding, flux core arc welding, electroslag welding, gas metal arc welding, submerged arc welding, plasma arc welding or gas tungsten arc welding? I think since we are on a tractor site and not a welding site, most people more readily understand the three most common homeowner welding methods as stick or arc welding, MIG welding, and TIG welding; SMAW, GMAW, and GTAW if it suits you better. ;)

Dargo with your welding experience you don't have to use the technical wording to get the message across, I learned this with airplanes.

Keeping it simple really works when explaining what procedures work or not.
Tractors and welders always seem to get together sooner or later especially since most that buy a tractor want to do their own work sooner or later move on to wanting a welder to build stuff with to go with their tractor stuff.

I am a novice/homeowner (welder) myself, I enjoy building stuff for my tractor.
It's always good to hear what an experienced welder has to say about a product, procedure or just a good fix to the problem (whatever it may be).

wushaw said:

The distinction was made, because in the documentation we refer to, the distinction is made.. thus the terminology, and fitness for a specific use.. etc.

Some items say mig and arc.. some only say arc. i take that to mean they are using the word arc in place of stick.

Soundguy