Feedback Request: 4-wheel steering units X394 and X584

/ Feedback Request: 4-wheel steering units X394 and X584 #1  

Spindifferent

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520, JD X584
Hi Folks,

I'm interested in the 4-wheel steering units like the 2016 model year X394 and X584 and would like to hear the good and the bad about these from folks that actually have experience with them. Would also be good to know how the new 54-inch Accel deck performs, and what the all-wheel steering experience is like to operate.

I have lots of trees, corners, and serpentine edges on the property, and would like something with a tight uncut radius. Have about 2.5 acres of mostly level mowing; half on unimproved native grass and half on somewhat improved native grass.

Lawn tractor would also be used for misc. tasks like towing loaded carts, pulling the mobile chicken coop, maybe even chasing the horses. :)

All feedback is much appreciated!

/ Feedback Request: 4-wheel steering units X394 and X584 #2  
I have the larger X739 with 4 wheel steering (plus all wheel drive) and like you have lots of trees, tight turns and serpentine landscaping borders to mow against. Love the 4 wheel steering since it follows the tight curves perfectly without dropping a wheel into the landscaping which was an issue with my previous 2 wheel steer mowers. Will never have another mower without it, or all wheel drive since I have some steep slopes where tight turns are needed also.

If you get one get a spinner knob for the steering wheel, makes fast direction changes much easier.

Last edited:
   / Feedback Request: 4-wheel steering units X394 and X584 #3  
Have had AWS for all mine since '96 and have no complaints at all on their being robust and IMO the only way to go. Not a problem mechanically.

There are ++ advantages when mowing side-hills with better traction. Making a turn uphill with AWS just much easier than with only front wheel steering.
Also, if hung up and a wheel spinning, just being able to turn the direction of that spinning wheel often gets one out of trouble. Subtle but real benefit.

Only possible fault is continually mowing around a tree and leaving a tell-tale ring in the soil if mowing when ground is wet.

/ Feedback Request: 4-wheel steering units X394 and X584 #4  
Deere has had great 4ws systems now for around 2 decades and have always worked well, I have not had much chance to see how the A series decks are performing. But would recommend the 500 series if you can swing it based on your towing needs. Good luck

/ Feedback Request: 4-wheel steering units X394 and X584 #5  
Me too on the ++ of AWS & AWD. X739. Hard to beat on hills.

/ Feedback Request: 4-wheel steering units X394 and X584 #6  
I went from a 285 w/50" deck to an x485 AWS w/62" deck. My mow time went from 3 hours to 2 hours. Part from the 12" wider width of cut and part from the AWS; less time trimming around trees/bushes/etc and quicker turns. Great for following curved landscape edges.

My yard is rough and there are places the bumps make it a little harder to hold a nice straight line, but that's my yard, not the machine's fault.
Get AWS and PS and you will never want to go back.

I do have the rear tires tear up the lawn around trees if I try and turn too fast/tight when the ground is damp/soft.

/ Feedback Request: 4-wheel steering units X394 and X584 #7  
Does anyone have any info on a X584 4ws that has a clunk from the front when turning at slow speeds. I can see the problem is that the wheel is moving in and out on the spindle and Deere says that this is normal. That is BS after paying $7,500 !!

/ Feedback Request: 4-wheel steering units X394 and X584 #8  
Only possible fault is continually mowing around a tree and leaving a tell-tale ring in the soil if mowing when ground is wet.

I have not experienced that particular problem with the AWS, but do find the rear gauge wheel of the mower deck often leaves a ring since it can only be adjusted up / down and does not swivel.

/ Feedback Request: 4-wheel steering units X394 and X584
Some photos of the new X584.

Gearz - have not noticed any clunking sounds from the front wheels, but will listen closely the next time I have it out.

IMG_0017.jpgIMG_0028.jpgIMG_0024.jpg

/ Feedback Request: 4-wheel steering units X394 and X584 #10  
Looks good, congrats!

Are the weights hanging on the front for plans to add some attachment to the rear?