Feeling Responsibility....

/ Feeling Responsibility.... #1  

JDGreenGrass

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 770
Well, I signed on to take care of my neighbors driveway this winter using my new snowblower and my JD770 with FEL. They are an elderly couple in their late 80's.

It is srikeing how much responsibility I feel in that my epuipment has to be reliable.

They have always had it plowed in the past and I think they will really like the apearance of the drive being snowblowed out. It's a good sized loop driveway probably about 125 feet, all told. $35 per storm which will help pay of my blower. Every little bit helps. Or wait, should I put it towards a JD3032e.??....I'm dreaming though it would give me 5 more HP at the PTO. Justified.??

So anyway, wish me luck.

Side note...The old guy is a musician from the old swing and jazz days. He sits at a drum kit and taps the high-hat cymbal and thumps the bass drum for rythym and at the same time blows a saxophone playing a song. Very interestiong guy to talk to.

/ Feeling Responsibility.... #2  
I suppose you have snow liability insurance.

(actually I suppose not, but I'm trying to be positive)

You better go price it before you decide to get paid for removing snow. (which makes it a commercial enterprise, just doing a favor for a neighbor isn't a liability issue)

/ Feeling Responsibility.... #3  
By sounds both are getting good deal..fingers cross for late night snow blowing.

/ Feeling Responsibility.... #4  
Congratulation, Be sure to stake off the drive before the ground freezes. I hardly think Liability insurance is necessary for private drives. If you contracted a public facility then you might consider it. 1 private driveway is hardly a commercial enterprise and you would be in no more or less trouble if you lets say hit his car with your tractor regardless if you did it for free or $35. I would however make sure your home is homesteaded regardless of anything and that has nothing to do with this subject. It is just good advice.

/ Feeling Responsibility.... #5  
Congratulation, Be sure to stake off the drive before the ground freezes. I hardly think Liability insurance is necessary for private drives. If you contracted a public facility then you might consider it. 1 private driveway is hardly a commercial enterprise and you would be in no more or less trouble if you lets say hit his car with your tractor regardless if you did it for free or $35. I would however make sure your home is homesteaded regardless of anything and that has nothing to do with this subject. It is just good advice.

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong
If you're doing it for free, there's no compensation, and thus no agreement, it's just a favor. good Samaritan and all that.

If you are getting paid, before hand, with an agreement, then it's a commercial enterprise and you are held to a higher standard.

The biggest problem in snow removal liability isn't property damage. It's slip and falls. he's paying you (well the OP) to remove snow from his driveway, if it isn't done and someone slips and falls.
well, bye bye college fund. (avg slip and fall settlement is over $25,000, lawyers alone could cost you that.) while your neighbor may or may not be willing ot push this, if he/she has a guest over and they slip and fall, they are going to want their costs recovered, they go after his homeowner's insurance who then goes after his commercial snow removal operation. (which would be the OP).

I pay more for snow liability insurance (which is less than 15% of my gross) than I do for the rest of my business liability insurance.
Want to play with the big boys, well it ain't all glory.

/ Feeling Responsibility.... #6  
Look I am not saying it is a bad idea but we are talking about 1 driveway. how far do you take that responsibility. so if he is just plowing snow is he now responsible for sanding, walkways and stairs, & what about the 1'2 inch of snow that falls the next day or the freezing rain overnight is he now responsible for that. We can take this pretty far, I guess he should probably file for a Tax ID an decide how he wants to set up his company. Does he want to incorporate? I guess he should also pay into workman's comp and unemployment. Is the home owner filing a 1099 at the end of the year? Look I'm not trying to be a smart *** I'm just saying that 1 drive is not a business and if the homeowner wants to trow him $35 bucks in appreciation that's fine.

/ Feeling Responsibility.... #7  
Liability insurance is one reason I never charge anyone for doing anything with my tractor.

I live in the country where neighbors trade favors all the time. I might not get $35, but the next time I need someone to help with a trench, pulling wire through conduit, lifting a heavy piece of furniture, etc. I know just who to ask, and again no money ever changes hands.

I would plow or blow an elderly neighbor's driveway for the sheer joy of knowing that I contributed something to my community. Try it. You will be respected by many.

/ Feeling Responsibility....
Liability insurance is one reason I never charge anyone for doing anything with my tractor.

I live in the country where neighbors trade favors all the time. I might not get $35, but the next time I need someone to help with a trench, pulling wire through conduit, lifting a heavy piece of furniture, etc. I know just who to ask, and again no money ever changes hands.

I would plow or blow an elderly neighbor's driveway for the sheer joy of knowing that I contributed something to my community. Try it. You will be respected by many.

He's paying me 35 bucks a storm but, I still get that warm and fuzzy feeling that I am doing something for someone and you can't talk me outta that.!!

Also, I gonna risk everything and do this neighbors driveway the same way I would my own.

I ain't gonna fret it and don't think he will, either. TIM-BER.!!!!!!!

/ Feeling Responsibility.... #9  
Well, I signed on to take care of my neighbors driveway this winter using my new snowblower and my JD770 with FEL. They are an elderly couple in their late 80's.

It is srikeing how much responsibility I feel in that my epuipment has to be reliable.

They have always had it plowed in the past and I think they will really like the apearance of the drive being snowblowed out. It's a good sized loop driveway probably about 125 feet, all told. $35 per storm which will help pay of my blower. Every little bit helps. Or wait, should I put it towards a JD3032e.??....I'm dreaming though it would give me 5 more HP at the PTO. Justified.??

So anyway, wish me luck.

Side note...The old guy is a musician from the old swing and jazz days. He sits at a drum kit and taps the high-hat cymbal and thumps the bass drum for rythym and at the same time blows a saxophone playing a song. Very interestiong guy to talk to.

If he is a good neighbor I wouldn't charge him anything. A good neighbor is worth their weight in gold. We have lived here three years in the country now. My neighbors are always doing more for me than I can do for them. It's frustrating but I'm going to figure out a way to catch up.

/ Feeling Responsibility....
If he is a good neighbor I wouldn't charge him anything. A good neighbor is worth their weight in gold. We have lived here three years in the country now. My neighbors are always doing more for me than I can do for them. It's frustrating but I'm going to figure out a way to catch up.

He is a good neighbor and he is happy to pay the $35.

My God, you people are making me out to be a crook. Geez, I mean, I am a sinner...but not a crook.

He will happily pay for services rendered. What is soo wrong with that.??

Should I go to work for nothing, in the morning.??

And, how have you people earned you're money.?? Good for you...I won't knock you for it.

Have a great week.