Loader FEL Capacity - at what point does damage occur

/ FEL Capacity - at what point does damage occur #1  

DrRod

Platinum Member
Ellicott City, MD - Farm in Orbisonia PA (south ce
Tractor
John Deere 4110
I have a JD 4110 with a Frey FEL. I'm about to start a project of moving some rock piles around my place -- mostly about a foot across but a few that are substantially larger. I'm concerned about trying to lift something too heavy and subsequently damaging something on the FEL. So if I try to lift a rock that's too big, will the hydraulics just not respond and it will be obvious that it won't lift it? Or could I pick it up and then pop a hose, bend a shaft, or something of the kind?

/ FEL Capacity - at what point does damage occur #2  
Your relief should kick in before you do any physical damage.Remember to carry heavy loads as low as possible.

/ FEL Capacity - at what point does damage occur #3  
The damage can occur when the bucket is at max load and the cylinders are held by the hydraulics. Sudden hard impacts like driving over rough terrain can bend the cylinder rods if they are extended out. Other than that not much should go wrong.

/ FEL Capacity - at what point does damage occur #4  
As noted, the relief should save you from doing too much harm from overloading. Note that you can also damage the bucket or arms if the forces are uneven (i.e. off to one side).

While anything is possible, of course, your 4110 is really light enough and the hydraulics are mild enough that you're probably at more risk of doing a reverse or sideways wheelie than bending things with something heavy in the bucket. Slow and easy is always better than driving like a wild man, but especially so when lifting and carrying heavy loads. With some practice, you'll develop a sense of what can be handled safely.

/ FEL Capacity - at what point does damage occur #5  
Be sure to have a counterweight on the 3 point hitch if lifting heavy loads - many implements are heavy enough. A lot of tractors are unstable with heavy weight on loader and uneven ground without a good counterweight. In my experience lose curl ability before lift ability, usually a clue you are pushing the limits. Higher revs (up to PTO rpm) help with hydraulic power.

/ FEL Capacity - at what point does damage occur
Thank you all for your quick response -- this is just the sort of info I was looking for. Bottom line appears to be that there are safeguards built in but don't get crazy. And as always, slow and easy is the better way to go. Also, I generally have my brush hog on the back so I think I'm well counter weighted.

And yes, I've done a reverse/side wheelie on one occasion. I had stacked a pike of old porch boards on the bucket with the brush forks in place [which also add nearly a hundred pounds way out front]. Didn't seem like that many boards but they fit together very tightly and so built up some serious weight given the space they took up. In any case, I drove off a few feet and the front right tire went squishy and the back left raised off the ground. Didn't make for much of a tip but it was disconcerting nonetheless.

Thanks again for your replies.

/ FEL Capacity - at what point does damage occur #7  
So if I try to lift a rock that's too big said:
If it does not lift it's too heavy. Components can fail at any time.

For the real heavy rock try and fit (or partially) them in the bucket. Then skid them using the float and curl.

/ FEL Capacity - at what point does damage occur #8  
You shouldn't damage anything lifting the max your fel will lift. A bush hog is a little light by its self, but certainly better than nothing.

/ FEL Capacity - at what point does damage occur #9  
It's already been covered ... But if it's too heavy, your tractor won't lift it anyhow, so nothing to worry about with weight. Try not to use it like a dozer.

Also, try to avoid sharp turning, especially on dry ground or pavement, with heavy weight on the front axle, in 4w4.

/ FEL Capacity - at what point does damage occur #10  
Without a counterweight, your loader might be able to pick the rear tires off the ground if you overload it. Worse, the tractor's brakes are in the rears, so a heavy load on the front dramatically reduces braking capacity...going downhill can get very exciting. Something fairly heavy (and compact, if possible) on the 3PH is a good idea when you are doing serious loader work.