Loader fel carrier options...

/ fel carrier options... #1  

DMG Tractor

So,I do believe I have settled on a tractor, the price and the configuration.. however.. I am suffering form the loader carrier options.. and am not sure which way to go...

The machine will be a 2011 jd 4105 with 300cx, rear remote, and electric over hydraulic true third loader function, cruise control..and a box blade to start for a rear implement.
My reasoning for the third loader function is the plan to add a grapple. I initially was just going to get the standard JD loader Q/A system and add a SSL adapter plate and order the grapple for SS carrier format.

However the dealer is kinda selling me on the Euro/global carrier style as he believes there is a growing shift to that style.. we checked with the grapple manufacturer and and there is a 125.00 upgrade cost to build the grapple for the euro mount vs. the almost 600.00 cost for the SS Q/A adapter..

this all sounded great at the time.. but in order to rent a ss attachment ( which even if unlikely having that option open would be nice) I would still need an attachment adapter of some kind.. and not sure what the cost would be on that.

Not sure if this topic has been beat the death yet.. but i couldn't find much in the forums on the Euro/Global attachment.

Anyone care to offer their experiences with this one?

Dave

/ fel carrier options... #2  
If I planned on renting/buying used SS attachments I would get the SS carrier.

If I ONLY planned to buy new as I needed, I would get the Global carrier. I like the idea of changing from the side with one lever.

Have you checked the cost of adapters, Global to SS and SS to Global?
That might sway you one way or another.

/ fel carrier options...
no, i haven't really got numbers for those adapter plates, and i know what you mean about the global Q/A system.. I tried it out at the dealer on a large machine at the dealer for repair with a bent loader and its slick it was even suprisingly easy with the loader being a little bent.

The standard JD propietary q\a system isn't too bad, certainly looks easy enough.. two pins both from the sides, no leaning over the bucket. mabey i should get JD carrier with an HD bucket and have them order the SS attachment plate..

right now looking at the purchase order it looks like they have it set up with the global carrier on the loader and then a horst ada0600 attachment to convert to skid steer.. with a horst sbc66 skid steer bucket... so in order to use the bucket.. i'll always have the carrier adapter on... that doesn't seem right.. that seems like reduction in loader capacity all the time with bucket and with a future grapple...

after 4 hours of getting this thing configured to what seemed right at the time .. i have to admit this is a little frustrating.

Last edited:
   / fel carrier options... #4  
Get the SS type universal quick attach. the SS Q/A is here to stay. the Euro coupler might be the way to go if you are working in Europe, but I doubt that.
The shorter the distance from the QA/boom hinge pin to the bucket cutting edge, the better the tractor will perform.
The grapple can grab about a pickup truck load of brush with every bite.
Anything you can do to reduce the curling moment required, will increase the amount of brush moved each bite.

Get prices on other brands of grapples. The $600 sounds wrong, the SS Q/A should be the least expensive route.

/ fel carrier options...
I'm sorry i should clarify.... there is 125 up charge to build to grapple for the euro mount.. the grapple itself is default built in SS format... the 600 quid i was refering to was John Deere's proprietary loader to SS adapter plate. I guess ideally the euro mount or the standard john deere would be prefered but not if the SS adapter brings the bucket out too far.. i'll have to get more specs tomorrow before i sign the bottom line on anything....

/ fel carrier options... #6  
Get the JD SS attachment carrier. If you buy an aftermarket adapter, and skid steer plate to mount on the standard JD bucket, you will have spent more than just buying the SS carrier. I bought the JD SS carrier for my 4520 CUT and then bought a JD skid steer foundry bucket. The foundry bucket is more HD and yet cheaper than JD's HD CUT bucket. The foundry bucket is shaped and sized similar to the demensions of a CUT bucket and does not have a long bottom like typical skid steer buckets. The foundry bucket is design for tough digging by a skid steer. If you JD dealer cannot get the foundry bucket, go to a JD dealer that sells skid steers and order one.

I have the global carrier on my 125 hp ag tractor with FEL. Not sure why the dealer is pushing the global carrier for the JD CUT. Global (European) carrier is now the standard for ag loaders (in erurope and US) because it will safely lift more than a SS carrier. My ag tractor will lift over 5000 lbs. I believe the standard skid steer carrier is designed for around 3500 lbs. I would not get a global carrier for a CUT. Any attachments you buy later will be mostly designed for skid steer and not for global carrier. If the attachments were global carrier they would be way to small in size for anyone to want to buy for an ag tractor with global carrier.
A skid steer carrier with the wedges on the bottom also holds the bucket tightly to the carrier. Global carrier is designed with a little slop in system and the bucket will move more freely.

One more thing. SS carrier lets you get away from buying JD attachments that will only fit on the typical JD carrier. Much cheaper to buy used or new skid steer equipment rather than buying JD only equipment

/ fel carrier options... #7  
If I planned on renting/buying used SS attachments I would get the SS carrier.

If I ONLY planned to buy new as I needed, I would get the Global carrier. I like the idea of changing from the side with one lever.

Have you checked the cost of adapters, Global to SS and SS to Global?
That might sway you one way or another.

I bought a skid steer to global attachment last year. I searched the net and only found 1 company that makes one. Cost $750+ including shipping. Many more companies make a global to skid steer adapter and they are cheaper. When I bought my Case-IH ag tractor and FEL that had global carrier, I also bought their global to skid steer adapter and had it shipped with the FEL and saved a lot. At that time, their adapter was about $425 but that was 3 years ago.

My NH w80 compact wheel loader uses a HD skid steer style carrier but it is much heavier built than a typical skid steer carrier but has the same dimensions. My NH w80 will lift 7000 lbs but now I can use the same attachments as my skid steer if I need to. With the skid steer to global carrier adapter, I can use my Ag tractors larger buckets, grapple bucket and pallet forks.

/ fel carrier options... #8  
So,I do believe I have settled on a tractor, the price and the configuration.. however.. I am suffering form the loader carrier options.. and am not sure which way to go...

The machine will be a 2011 jd 4105 with 300cx, rear remote, and electric over hydraulic true third loader function, cruise control..and a box blade to start for a rear implement.
My reasoning for the third loader function is the plan to add a grapple. I initially was just going to get the standard JD loader Q/A system and add a SSL adapter plate and order the grapple for SS carrier format.

Anyone care to offer their experiences with this one?

Dave

The J.D. system seems to offer the least amount of offset. It also has the best weight ratio, has to be less than 10 lbs. for the brackets and pins, however there is added weight on the loader end. I like it for that reason. It does have the widest footprint of all the Q/A's. It is not universal as is the SSQA system. Another question to ask is how many attachments are you really going to have? Your tractor has a medium lift capacity of 1600 lbs. at the pins. Weight would be an important factor for me. I have never seen a euro Q/A except at a dealer.

/ fel carrier options...
Okay.. wow.. foggyness is gone now...not sure what i was thinking.. yes the proprietary JD system with their ss attachment is the way to go. Although like Zebrafive said the Global system is cetainly convienent operating one lever from the side. The standard JD Q/A isn't nuclear physics and i should be concerned with generating the least amount of offset most of time which is generally going to be with bucket.. the grapple will not be on "most" of the time..and although its capacity might be reduced a smidgen it'll likely still do everything i need it to.
Thanks so much everyone