FEL Curl, weak or normal?

/ FEL Curl, weak or normal? #1  

JCoastie

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE
I've noticed when dumping my bucket, it will just flop for a few seconds before it slams as expected against the stops. It isn't too bad in this video, sometimes it it s bit worse, maybe a 2 second flop at most, and it is worse with a load in the bucket. Is this a mild case of floppy bucket syndrome, something else, or is this normal?

Bucket Video

The problem was accentuated when I attached the grapple and tried to back drag some loose dirt and pine straw with the lid tines open pushing against the extended curl cylinders, it just floated on top and didn't really grab anything. You can see I can move it by hand, and you can see the curl cylinders retracting.

Grapple Video

I was controlling the down curl function, and not letting it just fly down from the weight, but the floppiness still happens. I can fiddle with the joystick and get the curl cylinders to lock solid, but it is more the exception than the rule.

The tractor is under a year old and still under warranty, so if it isn't normal, I'd like the dealer to fix it.
Thoughts?

/ FEL Curl, weak or normal? #2  
I had something exactly like the first video happen when plowing with my snow pusher. At the end of the job, I'd lift the pusher up and dump it all the way over a snow bank to bang out any stuck snow. After plowing for a while (very little curl use), the dump would seemingly stall, just like yours, for a second or two near the end of travel. Then it would clunk the rest of the way. I had a similar experience to yours with back dragging also.

To me, this looks exactly like floppy bucket syndrome. Installing a flow restrictor on the rod end of the dump cylinder fixed it for me.

/ FEL Curl, weak or normal?
If a flow restrictor is required to "fix" the issue, is that something the dealer should take care of or would that be on me?

/ FEL Curl, weak or normal? #4  
It's probably going to be on you, since it is technically a modification. Couldn't hurt to ask though. This is the one I installed, and for me, it wasn't worth the $35 to even bother the dealer.

/ FEL Curl, weak or normal? #5  
IMHO you need to check your fluid level if
you just added something on the system

willy

/ FEL Curl, weak or normal? #6  
Now you have my attention, how would a flow restrictor fix the problem?

/ FEL Curl, weak or normal?
Fluid level has been checked and is correct, and the bucket has done that pretty much since day one that I can remember.

Would 2 restrictors be required, one per cylinder?

/ FEL Curl, weak or normal? #8  
This is a common issue on most tractors, for some reason LS seems to be specially bad compared to others. If you search for floppy bucket, you'll find a lot of threads.

What happens is that the weight of the attachment starts pulling the cylinders faster than the pump can fill the cylinders. So this creates a pocket of air inside the cylinders, hence the floppy movement.

A common fix is using the flow restrictor. You'll only need on on the hose that feeds the rod end of the cylinders. You can actually put just by the quick disconnect so it's close to you to adjust if needed. This flow restrictor is directional, in one direction it will restrict the flow, while on the other directly it will free flow.

Now, it's also possible to get away without the flow restrictor, by simply knowing your tractor. Instead of moving the lever all the way to right to dump, just move about half way, this action will act as a flow restrictor. With time and experience, you'll learn and figure how to control it and adjust accordingly on the fly.