FEL plow size L5740

/ FEL plow size L5740 #1  

greenrider1

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 HSTC
Well, I went from looking at used equipment to purchasing a new machine. I couldn't pass up Kubota's 0% 5 year financing and full warranty, so I ordered a new L5740 HSTC to replace my L3710. I will post pics when I get her home. I've found a used 8' Fisher plow pretty cheap that I'm looking into converting to go on my FEL. I also have a 7' Lorenz double auger 3 pt blower for the deep stuff. I'm just wondering if this is too much plow for this machine? I have a 400' drive and an area between my house and barn that is about 90' wide by 80' long, and it seems to go faster plowing this wide area vs using the blower. I used my FEL bucket last year which is only 6' wide, and my 3710 could have easily pushed more. I also got the third function valve on the new one, so I'll have hydraulic angle, but I would most likely use it more like a snow pusher. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm going to go look at the plow tomorrow.

/ FEL plow size L5740 #2  
I can't imagine 8' being too much as long as its mounted in a sensible way. I use a 7.5' Fisher on my MX4700. Takes a lot of rear weight for traction (I have loaded tires and use another1000+ lbs on the 3pt) on the icy stuff (R4 tires). Only problems I run into is directional control when I try to push heavy snow with the blade angled. To allow for angle the blade sits about 30" in front of the SSQA mounts. If I angle the blade too much and try to push a lot at once the front of the tractor gets pushed sideways. I can get through some pretty big stuff in a straight line.

Good luck
Wxman

/ FEL plow size L5740 #3  
I have no idea what you guys are talking about!

God Bless Texas :)

/ FEL plow size L5740
I can't imagine 8' being too much as long as its mounted in a sensible way. I use a 7.5' Fisher on my MX4700. Takes a lot of rear weight for traction (I have loaded tires and use another1000+ lbs on the 3pt) on the icy stuff (R4 tires). Only problems I run into is directional control when I try to push heavy snow with the blade angled. To allow for angle the blade sits about 30" in front of the SSQA mounts. If I angle the blade too much and try to push a lot at once the front of the tractor gets pushed sideways. I can get through some pretty big stuff in a straight line.

Good luck
Wxman

Thanks for the reply. I bought the plow this morning. It's an 8' Fisher HD plow (older style). It's in good shape, and in the spring I'll probably take it all apart and sandblast and paint it. Ive found a couple nice ideas from threads on here for mounting it to a QT plate. I'm going to be running R4's also, rears loaded. My 7' Lorenz blower weighs about 1200 lbs, so I should be good with weight. If I can't push it with the plow, I'll use the blower. I was more concerned if I have the plow at an angle the front end may not track straight. I may put chains on the front tires if needed, although i don't really like running them. At any rate, this tractor is already starting out at about 1000 lbs more than my 3710.

/ FEL plow size L5740 #5  
I have a 7ft. blade for my MX5100, but I haven't used it yet. I imagine in your case traction might become an issue in heavy snow, but until you try it, you'll never know. Filled tires, rear ballast, chains might alleviate any problems. If it doesn't work to suit you, you could cut the blade down to a smaller size.

/ FEL plow size L5740
I have no idea what you guys are talking about!

God Bless Texas :)

Must be nice! Although I like the snow also. Not much this year so far. Temps have been in the 40's and 50's during the day up until this week. If I didn't have snow to move, I wouldn't have just bought a new cab tractor. I'll miss the open platform during the warmer months.

/ FEL plow size L5740 #7  
I use an eight ft.Curtis FeL mounted snowplow..works fine.I do have R1s and they are loaded.Run with a seven ft.rear blade also.Your tractor should be able to handle an eight footer easy;may need chains with R4 tires.

/ FEL plow size L5740 #8