FEL reattaching tip

/ FEL reattaching tip #1  

Stackwood

Bronze Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota MX5000
Greetings Kubodites. I am in the habit of removing the FEL on my MX5000 due to all the tight manuevoring required around our place. It's just a different machine with the FEL off. The only trouble is when the hydraulic hookups are hard to put back on. Sometimes pressure builds up in the cylinders (especially if the temperature has gone up) making them nearly impossible to re-engage. In my last episode with this, none of the usual tricks seemed to help, even tapping on the nipple ends, which sent spurts of fluid everywhere but didn't relieve enough pressure to do any good. So I sat down and had a think. It then occured to me that I could relieve the pressure ANYWHERE in the system the offending nipple was connected to. I loosened one of the line nuts that the line was connected to, a little fluid came out, and presto, the nipple connected easily. I tightened it back up, then did the same with the other offending line. It only takes a minute.

Hope this helps.

Stackwood

/ FEL reattaching tip #2  
I'm actually going through this exact thing right now with my FEL. First time it's happened....the cylinder for tilting the bucket just won't cooperate. I figure I'll let it go till morning then try again.

/ FEL reattaching tip #3  
Once you place your loader in it's resting position and detach it from the mounting frame, turn the tractor off. Move your joystick control arm in all directions. I do it twice but that's just me. That will relieve all pressure within the hyd. system. Done deal.

Connect and disconnect with ease.

/ FEL reattaching tip #4  
I think Stackwood is talking about relieving pressure that builds up on the FEL side of the connection while the FEL is off the tractor.

/ FEL reattaching tip #5  
Bob_Young said:
I think Stackwood is talking about relieving pressure that builds up on the FEL side of the connection while the FEL is off the tractor.
Hmmmmmmm....

You may be onto something... :D

With that pointed out, take a short extension piece from a socket set, insert into the connector (holding and wrapped in a towel as an over-all cover cloth), and tap it with a hammer. That will do the trick.

However, with what I mentioned previously, there should be no buildup, by relieving the pressure prior to disconnect. I always find mine just like I leave it.

Mind you, I'm no veteran to this type of scenario of buildup after disconnect. .

/ FEL reattaching tip
Once you place your loader in it's resting position and detach it from the mounting frame, turn the tractor off. Move your joystick control arm in all directions. I do it twice but that's just me. That will relieve all pressure within the hyd. system. Done deal.

I do follow that procedure, but sometimes I still run into this problem. It's possible that the FEL settles a bit over time and changes the dynamics. I have noticed that a long layover excerbates things. In any case, it's good to have a bag of tricks for any problems that arise.

Stackwood

/ FEL reattaching tip #7  
Stackwood said:

I do follow that procedure, but sometimes I still run into this problem. It's possible that the FEL settles a bit over time and changes the dynamics. I have noticed that a long layover excerbates things. In any case, it's good to have a bag of tricks for any problems that arise.

Stackwood

The hydraulic fluid expands from the heat of the sun. That's why, even if you relieve pressure before removal, it can be difficult to reconnect the QD's if the loader has been setting out.

/ FEL reattaching tip #8  
RoyJackson said:
The hydraulic fluid expands from the heat of the sun. That's why, even if you relieve pressure before removal, it can be difficult to reconnect the QD's if the loader has been setting out.
Thank you Roy, I stand schooled and learned. Keeping a machine inside and cool has its dowside too.

I always learn from your posts. You are the only bag of tricks one could ever need to call upon....

:tiphat:

/ FEL reattaching tip #10  
crbr said:
Thank you Roy, I stand schooled and learned. Keeping a machine inside and cool has its dowside too.

I always learn from your posts. You are the only bag of tricks one could ever need to call upon....
:tiphat:

Thank you...but there are a lot of very experienced tractor owners on TBN. A lot of them (especially the real Farmers) are quite a bit more knowledgable then I am...