FEL speed

/ FEL speed #1  

Helogabals

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar SA 424
Hello

Just have made first 20 h on my new Yanmar SA. Really happy with that tractor but one issue bother me.
FEL is kind of "jerky". Especially curl function. Lifting up is not so bad. Again down it's like falling.

Joystick is in right position, handle is long - it makes it easy to push it to the right amount. I am trying to dose flow, but still it is like "binar" - 0/1.
If I have to split handle's position from 0 to 10 and flow rate accordingly in percent is would say its is:
0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10
0 - 5% - 10% - 20% - 100% - 100% - 100% - .....

I am thinking does it makes sense to install a kind of restrictor (I dont know the correct word - throttle mby ?) in the line ?
Or there should be some kind of speed adjustment already ? At least I didn't find anything in User's Manual

Just hope you guys got what I wanted to tell :rolleyes:

/ FEL speed #2  
Give it enough time and you will get used to it and become smoother. If it was my tractor I wouldn't bother trying to modify with flow controls.

Example - my RTV-XG850 has a super twitchy throttle making slow speed maneuvers difficult if you are un=prepared. I'm used to it now and have much better control over it. Still not perfect but I have learned to compensate.

/ FEL speed #3  
Perhaps there is some air still trapped in the hydraulic system?

I would try giving the hydraulic system a good workout. Full movement, all directions, quite a few times. It cannot hurt, but may just flush out the trapped air.

/ FEL speed #4  
I put a restrictor on my loader's dump function, to reduce "bucket flop". It was easy and works well. I put three on the backhoe to slow down motions that were too abrupt. I think the valves do not feather well. The one that lowers the boom has a lot of weight on it so lowering the boom was jerking the entire tractor around.

I used these: 1/4 NPT 5 GPM Prince WFC-400 In-Line Flow Control | Prince Mfg | Brands | www.surpluscenter.com

On my loader and BH the hoses have the very common JIC fittings so I use some adaptors to get from NPT on the valve to JIC. On the loader I put the valve on the end of the hard line on the loader frame. Yours may be different.

I set the one way valves to restrict on the flow out of the cylinders as I thought that restricting flow in would cause cavitation and make the operation less even. It may not make a difference.

/ FEL speed #5  
Agree with Mikester above.....give it some time and you will get used to how it works before you modify things. I increase/decrease the throttle as needed for better hydraulic response too.

/ FEL speed #6  
I WISH my loaders were too fast, in any way! You can always reduce engine throttle to slow it down. If you need one thing to stay fast and other things to slow down, installing the restrictors will be the easiest way to go.

Speeding it up is a lot more trouble. You basically need a bigger pump, unless you want to get into silly approaches (which i will). Count your blessings!

/ FEL speed #7  
The restrictors I recommend above are externally adjustable so you can set them for current conditions. Or back them off so they don't restrict.

I have two on my backhoe's boom cylinder, one on each port. The boom wants to drop hard (due to gravity) and that is the rod side so it flows less. So that restrictor is cranked down pretty far. The other side that raises the boom needed some restriction but not as much, so it's turned in less.

I'm going to disagree with the "you'll get used to it" camp. I think that anyone who has operated mechanical stuff for a while and thinks about it as the OP clearly does, should be pretty well dialed in to how the controls work by 20 hours on a given machine. CUTS often use less expensive valves which do not always work as well as the good stuff.