FEL valve sticking

/ FEL valve sticking #1  

beaglebriar

Tractor
Ford 1920
Today when I was climbing off my tractor the hammer loop on my jeans hooked my loader control handle and I ended up pulling down pretty hard on it. I got back on it tonight to put it in the barn and when I pushed forward to lower the bucket it stayed forward. I pulled back and it is sticking pretty bad but will move. Is it possible that I hyperextended the piston and got a seal or something wadded up in the valve? Or is it complete coincidence? The valve works perfectly in every other direction and has never given me any trouble until now. It's a 7108 loader on a Ford 1920.

/ FEL valve sticking #2  
Perhaps you were in float which has a detent.

/ FEL valve sticking
That's not the problem. I'm going to pull it apart today and see what's going on.

/ FEL valve sticking #4  
Maybe you were just in detent as JJ suggested. Or maybe you somehow mangled the detent mechanism when you hooked the lever. It's generally a ball-bearing plunger arrangement with spring(s). Usually you can rebuild them easily without messing with the rest of the valve. The detent mechanism is usually held in a small "can" attached to the valve. The can usually comes off without messing with the valve/spool internals. The spool slides in or out of the can when the lever is moved in/out of detent, causing the spring loaded ball bearings to trip across a groove or ridge, holding the lever in place. It's entirely possible that got messed up with excessive movement of the lever. Would really need to have diagram of the valve and know how you hooked and yanked the lever to give more than a guess.

I haven't hooked anything with a hammer loop yet, but hooked plenty of levers with my barn coat and long insulated shirts when I got my first tractor. After that I switched to a short carhartt duck jacket and jean jackets. I am lucky I didn't do damage or get hurt.

/ FEL valve sticking
After taking it apart and checking the linkages and detent I can find nothing wrong. I figure I must have bent the spool creating drag in the bore of the valve. I'll have to call my dealer this week and see if I can get parts.

/ FEL valve sticking
Well..... finally got new seals and tore the spool apart. My suspicions were confirmed. The spool is bent. Unfortunately parts for this are obsolete and pretty scarce. I spun the spool 180 and bent it back some so its working better now but still sticks a little. I will be looking for a good used one. If anyone has a 1920 they're parting out let me know. lol