FEL vs box blade for spreading dirt

/ FEL vs box blade for spreading dirt #21  
It's all about practice, I have a standard scraper blade that I can angle and reverse, and my FEL bucket. Between the two I can accomplish most all of my grading tasks (1000+linear feet of gravel drive and 5000 sqft parking pad. ) FEL gets the material where I need it and between the blade and bucket I can get the surface graded. It took a couple of seasons to figure it out, but that's just the normal learning curve. You'll get it whatever you choose.

/ FEL vs box blade for spreading dirt #22  
Both the box blade and the FEL take some practice to become efficient when spreading dirt. I find that using both of them together is most efficient. If you are spreading dirt from a pile dumped onto your driveway, a box blade (when proficient with it) will very quickly spread/grade the dirt, and in a very controlled manner. A hydraulic top and side link make adjustments 'easier', however those adjustments can also be made with your manual top/side link.
Piston has said it all. The only comment I would add is if you use the FEL to spread dirt or rock, be careful and use the back edge of the bucket. Using the cutting edge with the cylinders too far extended puts a lot of pressure on the cylinders and can damage them. Using the back edge with float works well. With time and practice, the box blade has a lot of uses. It also add needed ballast to the rear if you use the FEL for moving material. Best Wishes, Larry

/ FEL vs box blade for spreading dirt #23  
Shame on me. I was unaware one could damage a cylinder by back dragging with an FEL. I do it frequently and with the bucket at all angles and not using float. I often curl the bucket enough to lift the front wheels off the ground when doing it. After 1000 plus hours I have yet to damage anything. You guys are probably right, it is not proper tractor etiquette and it may damage your cylinders and I am just plain lucky. But it sure the heck works well at times!
Cougsfan, I was unaware as well, until I tried back dragging at a severe angle where there was considerable resistance. POW - hydraulic hose burst. Now you would think I would have learned my lesson, but a couple of years later I did it again. . . I was thinking, well, just this one time I will try it. . . but again, POW and another hose had to be replaced. I will still back drag but only in float, and not at a severe angle.