Fence post peeler/debarker

/ Fence post peeler/debarker #1  

CDN Farm Boy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
I just came home with 56 fresh cut cedar fence posts now I need to get the bark off. Back when I was a kid, we'd wait for the moisture to form under the bark and use a spud to peel them but I don't have 6 months or so to wait, I want to use them next weekend.

I'm looking to build a peeler/debarker as I'd rather spend the time to build an attachment than to do it by hand anyways. Except for one lowly thread, searching, including Google and YouTube only seems to get me ones with planer knives and are rather elaborate for limited use.

I have an old gearbox I saved off a junk crop chopper that I was thinking of mounting a car rim to with some short chains bolted to the rim and then feed the post past. Kind of like a weed whacker will take the bark off if you get too close.

Thoughts?

/ Fence post peeler/debarker #2  
I have had good luck using a high pressure pressure washer

/ Fence post peeler/debarker #3  
I have used a draw knife on hemlock. Once you get it started you can pull it right off. The trick is do it when its green (wet).

/ Fence post peeler/debarker #4  
My goats would eat the bark right off them. It's incredible how they love that stuff.

/ Fence post peeler/debarker #6  
I have had good luck using a high pressure pressure washer
:thumbsup: Works best when you dry the posts for awhile first.

/ Fence post peeler/debarker #7  
Back when dad wad a young man he worked for a businessman that had several things goin. Dad was an operator for his house building outfit and also on rainy days worked in the feed store. One job he hated was posts. People would bring in straight pine trunks 2 to4 inches.six feet long for store credit. Dad's job was to take a draw knife and peel them and let the dry a few days then soak them a few more in a treatment.

He paid dad by the piece on that job. I think it was 5 cents. Dad wanted more production so he took his old Pontiac and found 2 spare rims. He cut the center from one and welded it to another. Then welded chains that hung down and some that had both ends welded to the rims. He'd drive to work get set up then block his car up and take the wheel off the back. He'd bolt on the debarker and put it in gear.at days he had weeks worth of soakers. Dad did this a couple weeks then the boss dropped his pay to 2cents each. Dad took his invention home and just ran the man's equipment no more peeling posts for him.

If they are bigger a friend built a large draw knife by adding another cutting edge to his box blade just offset it so it hung off one side. He peeled all the logs for his cabin that way.

/ Fence post peeler/debarker #8  
I just made a homemade draw knife at work out a piece of hard plate we use for wear liners in our concrete mixers and started peeling them by hand. Got about a dozen done so far (2 or 3 hrs into it so far). Just put the Peavey's out back and blasted some music while I was peeling. Can only do that while the wifey is at work, she thinks I'm going to deafen myself playing it that loud.

Steve

Attachments

• Draw Knife.jpg
    Draw Knife.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 459
  • Draw Knife (1).jpg
    Draw Knife (1).jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 365
  • Draw Knife (2).jpg
    Draw Knife (2).jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 957
  • Draw Knife (3).jpg
    Draw Knife (3).jpg
    804.1 KB · Views: 479
   / Fence post peeler/debarker #9  
There is an attachemtn for a 7" grinder that woulddo the job. It's a bit spendy but I would imagine you could make someting yourself that would work for small quantity jobs like this.

Error

The pressure washer sounds like the best idea I have heard so far. Seems like it would be easy and simple.

Some folks a couple of miles form my house have a sawmill as well as a post peeling setup. It is one heck of a contraption. Originally had 1 40-50 HP engine but they run it off of a couple of briggs 24hp like they run on thier sawmill. It was originally used for making telephone poles by the local electic provider many many years ago but now they use it on fence posts. Only take a few seconds to run an 8 ft long log 6-8" in diameter log.